Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Retuning E46 software

Hi Everyone

I'm looking into tuning the  ms43 in the E46's 

So far I have looked into Tunerpro and Romraider 

Has anyone one on here have any views on which they prefer or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Ive used tunerpro, works well and easy to use.

loaded a tuned file to my 330i -works bloody well - car drives great with nice enhancements! - launch control etc!

MS43 wiki site I presume?

• Like 1

I'd also be keen to learn more, even got a spare ECU especially for it. @Dogballs which tune did you use?

Ive been using romraider for both ms43 and ms42.

2 hours ago, polley said:

Ive been using romraider for both ms43 and ms42.

What flash software did you use? and cable?

I dont seem to be able to see all the tables, even in the highest user level

image.png

Edited by Eddie

On 3/30/2020 at 9:19 PM, Dogballs said:

Ive used tunerpro, works well and easy to use.

loaded a tuned file to my 330i -works bloody well - car drives great with nice enhancements! - launch control etc!

MS43 wiki site I presume?

What software and cable did you use?

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

What flash software did you use? and cable?

I dont seem to be able to see all the tables, even in the highest user level

image.png

I used chipsters software, unfortunately he passed away and his website isnt avaliable anymore. I see there is some other software that has been developed though that looks very promising. I used same odb2 cable I use for inpa. 

have a look at this https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082287 thread from E46 fanatics (its long, but as a fair amount of useful info.. (and useless))

and, MS43 Wiki: https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43

all you need is a Inpa cable for loading tuned files etc..

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, Dogballs said:

have a look at this https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082287 thread from E46 fanatics (its long, but as a fair amount of useful info.. (and useless))

and, MS43 Wiki: https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43

all you need is a Inpa cable for loading tuned files etc..

Very interesting - was just looking at the amount of people selling remapped MS43 DME's in the UK to plug and play, kind of seemed like a cheap remap option, but obviously possible to DIY as well.

Is it possible to swap a DME or remap one without deleting EWS? Also saw a ICV delete option for better throttle response too.

My car is manual swapped (by previous owner) so not sure how / if that plays into the whole thing either.

I like the idea of  better response and drive-ability even if actual gains would be minimal...

Yes you can keep ews. Also you can increase throttle response while retaining icv. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polley said:

Yes you can keep ews. Also you can increase throttle response while retaining icv. 

Cheers, much other benefit to a stock M54B30 - i.e. little more power? I'm less interested in the burble / higher redline stuff

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

Very interesting - was just looking at the amount of people selling remapped MS43 DME's in the UK to plug and play, kind of seemed like a cheap remap option, but obviously possible to DIY as well.

Is it possible to swap a DME or remap one without deleting EWS? Also saw a ICV delete option for better throttle response too.

My car is manual swapped (by previous owner) so not sure how / if that plays into the whole thing either.

I like the idea of  better response and drive-ability even if actual gains would be minimal...

attached are the files I used to flash my 330i. the change is significant. - you get the launch control, burble(only whilst not moving and reving it - poser mode), ews delete, better fuel consumption, etc etc 

I had a spare DME to play with.. so I can just replace the stock DME if required. but I never have! 

- BTW, The EWS delete still maintains the security of the key pairing- ie the car won't start without a paired key still.

cheers

MotorwerkeAgressive.bin MS430056_M54B30_Logger_EWSsignature_CHK5off_LC.bin

• Thanks 1

Not sure about the file you have here and the EWS delete.

Yes you can disable EWS from DME, and car wont start without the paired key ( as EWS has still disabled starter, however ignition and injection is enabled in DME). This means even without the key the car could still be push started. Or the EWS unit just unplugged and the two starter wires joined together. 

• Like 1

Hmmm... I'm guessing if I wanted a remapped DME while retaining all the security of EWS I would need to get my own DME mapped (as opposed to buying a wiped and rewritten one online to just swap in)?

Anyone doing this in AKL?

I'm doing my Vanos seals next week and would be interested in remapping afterward - just don't have a windows laptop / want to risk bricking my DME...

You can buy one thats been tuned and virginised. Then when you get it re sync EWS and youre away. But you'll need diagnostic software or a scanner to sync the EWS so maybe not the best solution for you.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, as per Dogballs, think I'll hit up Ray at Hell BM once I get everything sorted ?

• Like 1

After alot of trial and error I have finally got it sorted. I managed to get galletto working for the 64k file quite easily. But writing the full 512k caused me abit of problem. Alot of the flashing tools out there are seen by windows 10 as a threat.

In the end I downloaded ms4x flasher on my phone , then transferred the file to a laptop and then changed the settings in  "Windows Security > Virus & threat protection." To allow the exe file to be opened. If you dont allow the file in "windows threat protection" windows deletes it everytime you open it.

Anyway I have now had a good play with both a ms42 and ms43 dme. I got a couple dme's from wreaked cars as I was a bit worried about bricking mine.

Used my sons 320i as Guinea pig,  got access to a friends dyno over the lockdown and began the learning processes. 

I was pretty happy with the end result. 

20200427_154209.jpg

20200426_180811.jpg

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 2

Nice. Ms4x flasher is a lot nicer and user friendly. I don't think galletto corrects checksums automatically, could be the problem of your full write error. Ms4x flasher is better anyway.

What was the end result ?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 8:38 PM, Eddie said:

After alot of trial and error I have finally got it sorted. I managed to get galletto working for the 64k file quite easily. But writing the full 512k caused me abit of problem. Alot of the flashing tools out there are seen by windows 10 as a threat.

In the end I downloaded ms4x flasher on my phone , then transferred the file to a laptop and then changed the settings in  "Windows Security > Virus & threat protection." To allow the exe file to be opened. If you dont allow the file in "windows threat protection" windows deletes it everytime you open it.

Anyway I have now had a good play with both a ms42 and ms43 dme. I got a couple dme's from wreaked cars as I was a bit worried about bricking mine.

Used my sons 320i as Guinea pig,  got access to a friends dyno over the lockdown and began the learning processes. 

I was pretty happy with the end result. 

What kind of improvements did you get - anything measurable on the dyno?

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Pics removed from quote

The peak power went from 140hp @5900 to 158hp @ 6300 

I played with the vanos on the inlet cam but only at full throttle, I had to loose 2-3 hp from the top end  in order to be able to hold the torque for longer. 

I also changed the values  in "Throttle Angle Reaction on Driver Wish" table  below 25% to help make the car feel more lively when driving normally.  

Just for interest this was all done on the factory exhaust.

I have now installed the m52b28 exhaust manifolds and removed the cats at the gearbox plus replaced the rear muffer. The car still feels the same to drive just a little noisier. I haven't been back on the dyno with these changes , but I will as I would like to push the timing some more on 98 fuel. All the logging that i have done to date shows no timing correction has be needed so would like to see how much more timing it can handle. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 5:18 PM, polley said:

Nice. Ms4x flasher is a lot nicer and user friendly. I don't think galletto corrects checksums automatically, could be the problem of your full write error. Ms4x flasher is better anyway.

What was the end result ?

yes MS4x flasher was a lot better to use. a lot quicker for flashing, no need for boot made if doing a full write. The only problem i had with it was  its battery check before flashing would stop you from writing unless you connected a battery charger to the vehicle, which is always a good idea but not practical if you a trying to reflash a change while you are out on the road. 

Cool. How much extra timing did you add? Did you touch fuel ?

On 6/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, polley said:

Cool. How much extra timing did you add? Did you touch fuel ?

For fuel I add 5% to all the tables to help the St trims , Full load enrichment I had to add around 50-60% to get from 13.5 to12.7 afr

For I added 3-4 deg in the high load areas. Full advance at full load is 27.5 deg before it was only reaching 23 deg 

I also  removed the torque limits for each gear.

m43b22torquelimits removed.bin

On 4/14/2020 at 9:00 AM, Dogballs said:

attached are the files I used to flash my 330i. the change is significant. - you get the launch control, burble(only whilst not moving and reving it - poser mode), ews delete, better fuel consumption, etc etc 

I had a spare DME to play with.. so I can just replace the stock DME if required. but I never have! 

- BTW, The EWS delete still maintains the security of the key pairing- ie the car won't start without a paired key still.

cheers

MotorwerkeAgressive.bin 64 kB · 18 downloads MS430056_M54B30_Logger_EWSsignature_CHK5off_LC.bin 512 kB · 12 downloads

does the motorwerke bin add some power to the m54b30 or just a launch control?