Sign in to follow this  
Secniv

Foxwell NT530 Scanner

I have 3 BMWs so I ‘need’ a scanner right! Given the E30 and E36 are OBDI and the E60 is OBDII I needed a scanner that will cover both. I looked at finding an old laptop with serial port and setting up DIS etc but I prefer to just diagnose and wrench so went with plug n play. Enter the Foxwell NT530 plus serial adapter. Look at overseas but with shipping/GST price diff was negligible ($385+$65 for adapter) and I’m glad I did. Brought off BAT Tech Automotive and Greg has been really helpful getting me up and going. There was a delay with the adapter has it had to come out of China but he lent me one so I could start using sooner.

5375311B-6D40-4B3F-BD9C-8CB8CBC4850C.jpeg.ab8368c857567b5cedd2f69c34ba8ca8.jpeg

Greg gave me some instructions for scanning OBDI and have only used on the E36 so far.

GUIDE 

1. plug the tool into the OBD diagnostic socket. 

2. turn the ignition on [all lights show in the instrument cluster including engine and other warning lights] 

3. start the engine [this wakes up the ECU’s]

4. if unable to start the engine, then ensure that an appropriate battery charger is connected effectively, and all chassis grounds are functional [i.e., it is earthed properly]

... jump start batteries are not necessarily as good as a means of voltage conditioning; as you must ensure the best voltages remain available during testing. 

This ensures that all modules are awake and functional and able to report.

5. once you start the testing please continue and do not interrupt the process 

Please note: if any ECU module has a fault in the system, then it may not communicate or report any PID [data stream]. Faults in ECU’s DO NOT necessarily clear if they are still faulty.

In cases where the vehicle is also OBD2 compliant it is important to check for the communications with OBD2 data stream 

The E30  / E36 are biased toward OBD1 .... some E36 that have both types of OBD plugs may have data available from each plug [this is quite rare but cannot be overlooked].

So far I have been able to 
- reset airbag light (after swapping to later style wheel)
- diagnose a fault with the oxygen sensor cyl1-3 (according to Fedex it’ll turn up today!)
- the front brake pad sensor was unplugged 
so already paying for itself.

Next I’ll actually read the manual and see if I can reset the oil service light and check the performance of the individual control modules.
  • Like 1

I too have purchased a Foxwell NT530 with BMW software.  I find it excellent to use and really like that it talks OBD1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NZ00Z3 said:

I too have purchased a Foxwell NT530 with BMW software.  I find it excellent to use and really like that it talks OBD1.

Have you been able to figure out how to reset oil service? Found some instructions re NT520 but doesn’t seem to apply to NT530 (OBDI anyway).

Haven't needed to do that yet, so haven't looked.

I have the NT644 & confirmed it will not reset the service schedule (inspection anyway) on analogue system in the E30 but does read codes & show current data. It shows as having done reset but doesn't action.  That said, nor does the much more elaborate Autel tablet scanner at work. I need to use the older Hanatech work scanner to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotwire said:

I have the NT644 & confirmed it will not reset the service schedule (inspection anyway) on analogue system in the E30 but does read codes & show current data. It shows as having done reset but doesn't action.  That said, nor does the much more elaborate Autel tablet scanner at work. I need to use the older Hanatech work scanner to do so.

Guess I’ll have to stick to just crossing 7&19

After lock down I could sell you the OBD1 reset tool Which resets Service, ABS, SRS. On the left is the other early E30 D plug type, service only. $150 for both or $100 for the OBD1 & $50 for the early tool

Edit: The OBD1 tool resets every OBD1 fitted models not just E30 & E36

Reset.jpg

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

On 4/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, B.M.W Ltd said:

After lock down I could sell you the OBD1 reset tool Which resets Service, ABS, SRS. On the left is the other early E30 D plug type, service only. $150 for both or $100 for the OBD1 & $50 for the early tool

Reset.jpg

I would be interested in the OBD1 tool if your offer is not taken up. Cheers

On 4/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Reset.jpg

I’ll pass thanks anyway