Sign in to follow this  
Fluir_rj

Help with 120i 2008 planning

Hi, I have a BMW 120i 2008. I got it as Japan import it was 32000 KM very nice in 2015. Been doing oil change and service every 6-12 months (around 8k-12k KM), break and tires (very basic services). It's now with around 73000 KM. 

2 months ago I did change all spark plugs since cold start was a bit strange (not failing but slow) and some gas smell. Last month I had a ignition coil failure in 1 chamber.

I have started researching and seems like this engine N46N has some issues that may start to show up around 70k -100k as the classic Timing chain.

I don't have much experience with mechanic so would like some opinions on what you guys think of the car and what to expect or do in this car (since I've not been taking this car to a BMW shop).

Here is a quick video of the engine sound. I did warm up it a little (3k RPM for about 1-2min).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52u_Pi3stk&feature=youtu.be

I really like the car and not sure what I would change it for, but since it's 12yo I may have to get ready to do some investment. Let me know your thinking.

Thank you

PS: I known I need new front tyres :)

Edited by Fluir_rj

That doesnt sound pretty :D 

Not sure, would the spark plugs make the engine sound like this?

Any good BMW mechanic/technician recommendation in Auckland?

Nice thing I can't drive in the lock-down :)

Cheers

Edited by Fluir_rj

On 4/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, Fluir_rj said:

Hi, I have a BMW 120i 2008. I got it as Japan import it was 32000 KM very nice in 2015. Been doing oil change and service every 6-12 months (around 8k-12k KM), break and tires (very basic services). It's now with around 73000 KM. 

2 months ago I did change all spark plugs since cold start was a bit strange (not failing but slow) and some gas smell. Last month I had a ignition coil failure in 1 chamber.

I have started researching and seems like this engine N46N has some issues that may start to show up around 70k -100k as the classic Timing chain.

I don't have much experience with mechanic so would like some opinions on what you guys think of the car and what to expect or do in this car (since I've not been taking this car to a BMW shop).

Here is a quick video of the engine sound. I did warm up it a little (3k RPM for about 1-2min).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52u_Pi3stk&feature=youtu.be

I really like the car and not sure what I would change it for, but since it's 12yo I may have to get ready to do some investment. Let me know your thinking.

Thank you

PS: I known I need new front tyres :)

That doesn't sound outrageous for an N46.....do you have the new or old timing chain tensioner? The original kind has a large bolt and the new kind is flat. Given the age unless it was replaced it is likely to have the "old kind". Sadly the tension delivered by this old part is insufficient and is highly likely to lead to timing chain issues from 70k onwards (although that's reportedly the start and it can happen much later). It's hard to tell if it's tappets or chain on video audio.. Have a listen with a stethoscope (best 20 you'll ever spend at Repco) or failing that put your ear to the handle of a screw driver. If it's the chain you won't miss that the sound is coming from the timing case......

Another thing is that i've found the valvetrain noises are quite sensitive to different oils on BMWs. I once used Mobile in my M54 and it sounded like a rickety old train...went back to Castrol and all was good again.