Sign in to follow this  
2Spicey

INPA & M52 running rich

I have a 94 318ti converted to 328. The M52 wiring loom and MS40.0 DME. Upon completion I have just 1 wire/plug left over. It goes to the carbon canister solonoid. Got INPA up and running today and fault codes 68 Tank discharge, code 65 Carbon Can are there. My car runs rich. I can smell it with the nose-o-meter. The Ti was not fitted with the carbon can system and fuel tank vents without it. Reading about the evap system there is mention of the 'unmetered air' normally drawn into the manifold when it is active, The article mentions the DME fuel maps 'allow' for the extra air ingested wich bypasses the airflow meter. My DME must use these maps and as the air is not comming in via the carbon can, is this perhaps why more fuel is being added and the motor runs rich all the time? Any thoughts as to how I can stop the DME looking for carbon can solonoid? Many thanks...

After talking with a dealership tech today, the airflow meter and O2 sensor are king and will manage fueling.  I found that one of my O2 sensors was poo...gave random output voltages as soon as the car was warm. Everytime the voltage spiked and droped the car misfired and the unburnt fuel smell got stronger. Coils showed no faults so as I have already fitted new plugs, coils, cam and crank sensors, airflow meter it is I guess O2 sensor number 1 which is causing random misfire and overfuel smell? Thanks INPA & Greg.

Edited by 2Spicey
Might have found answer