Sign in to follow this  
ahmedc

Pilot Bearing for an E30

Hi guys,

I've got a 1989 318i M40B18 and I'm looking to get a new pilot bearing as I'm planning a manual swap. Does anyone know what dimensions I need for the pilot bearing to fit my engine? 

So far having a look online I'm to believe that the dimensions are as follows for the pilot bearing:

Width [mm]    9 mm
Inner diameter [mm]    15 mm
Outer diameter [mm]    32 mm

If that was the case then would a 10mm width x 15mm inner diameter x 32 mm outer diameter make much of a difference? 

I believe there are two different sizes, depending on the input shaft diameter, so it depends on if your input shaft is 12mm or 15mm. The outer diameter is the same, and the thickness doesn't matter too much. Just measure the input shaft diameter of the gearbox you are using and order the bearing to suit that.

Make sure you get the bearing installed at the correct depth too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad_Max said:

I believe there are two different sizes, depending on the input shaft diameter, so it depends on if your input shaft is 12mm or 15mm. The outer diameter is the same, and the thickness doesn't matter too much. Just measure the input shaft diameter of the gearbox you are using and order the bearing to suit that.

Make sure you get the bearing installed at the correct depth too.

Sweet, thanks for that. Will measure it once I get it but I'm looking at a getrag 240 so can have a look online as to what the measurements are for that. 

Brent (BM World) should be able to help you. There were 4 of each with all the parts he brought off me when I closed down to retire.