Greetings
I have my eye on this E39 touring - 525i 2001
Its pretty damn tidy, done 170,000kms
I've heard that these engines can go a long way
What should I look out for? 

My vision is to stance it out and chuck a straight pipe on it
See below for reference

Stance BMW 520i Touring E39, front

For an E39 touring I think a 530i would be much better and doubt it would use any more gas.

Cooling system 

Vacuum leaks

Oil leaks

Vanos seals

Spend some money on preventative maintenance before you start dropping cash on stancing it out.

25 minutes ago, Sammo said:

For an E39 touring I think a 530i would be much better and doubt it would use any more gas.

Cooling system 

Vacuum leaks

Oil leaks

Vanos seals

Spend some money on preventative maintenance before you start dropping cash on stancing it out.

Thanks for your response man
I'm honestly just looking for something reliable for running around once or twice a month (I don't drive very far because everything is so close to me)

Totally will tackle the basics first before I spend anything on stancing it out, gotta have the priorities right! 

Edited by kvmvl

53 minutes ago, kvmvl said:

Thanks for your response man
I'm honestly just looking for something reliable for running around once or twice a month (I don't drive very far because everything is so close to me)

Totally will tackle the basics first before I spend anything on stancing it out, gotta have the priorities right! 

Both are reliable engines, cooling system being the achilles heel ?

One big thing I’d look out for is if the air suspension on the rear has been replaced. Goes around 150-200kms and is about a $1,000 job (600 if you DIY). Usually the airbags that go but can be a leak in the air line or compressor that can be more expensive. 

These can suffer from BMWs famous tailgate wiring loom failure, just check things like the rear wiper/washer, and split tailgate switches work properly, also check the tailgate struts, they are a bit of a pain to do and new ones are not cheap. Rear subframe bushes will be shot or nearly shot at that mileage, causes crashy, harsh ride in the back end, Otherwise they are great wagons. If you are happy with the 525i go for that, but don't expect great performance, and the economy won't be fantastic, they are nearly 2 tonnes!

As with any BMW of this age or type, expect to drop the same amount of coin into it initially, as you spent buying it, to catch up on maintenance and fixing a few sub-optimal aspects - unless you get lucky... i.e. treat a $4k purchase as an $8k outlay over the first few months.  Going into it in this regard is less eye-watering in the long run...

• Like 1

A 530i is definitely more optimal than a 525i

Big car, you need the extra torque. 

Also don't straight pipe it, with the auto and being straight six, they are notorious for being obnoxiously loud. Could put a smaller rear muffler on but leave the rest of the system as it is. Cheaper in the long run too. 

Thanks everyone
I ended up buying it, lowering it on einbachs and putting some 18" bbs reps on it

only thing I don't like is the way the back sits - I still feel like theres way too much space in the arch

49f8314e-2442-46be-93f2-ce5383cbac4b.jpg

On 5/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, kvmvl said:

Thanks everyone
I ended up buying it, lowering it on einbachs and putting some 18" bbs reps on it

only thing I don't like is the way the back sits - I still feel like theres way too much space in the arch

Do you mind if I ask how much you ended up buying this for? 

On 6/27/2020 at 6:39 AM, Cammsport said:

Do you mind if I ask how much you ended up buying this for? 

kia ora bro
ended up paying $3500
I've spent about an additional $2500 on rear suspension, hoses and engine (coils and spark plugs etc)
plus tints and lowering springs, probably spent about $7500 all up :o 

• Like 1

I think, but I'm not sure (stance not being something I ever cared for) the rear ride height can be modified via coding- basically you program it to have a new "normal" height to operate at.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

I think, but I'm not sure (stance not being something I ever cared for) the rear ride height can be modified via coding- basically you program it to have a new "normal" height to operate at.

Hey man
My version has static all around
But I dropped it on some Einbachs and it looks pretty good

Image may contain: car, cloud, sky and outdoor

Back could be a bit lower

• Like 1

What do you mean by static, if you chuck 500kg in the boot doesn't it do the self levelling trick? Can check by turning the ignition on and jumping in the boot, one person is enough weight to activate the system.

On 8/26/2020 at 7:57 PM, BreakMyWindow said:

Sls although quite common was an option in tourings. Op i think means to say he has conventional coil springs in the rear.

This car did not come with SLS at all