Sign in to follow this  
scottharvey

My 635csi

Hey everyone i am buying a 79 635csi from my work next week.

What am i getting myself into??

The car has been in dry storage for 8 years i havent seen it run in this whole period but we have never tried to get it going. It has only ever been towed or pushed to different locations. I put the jump pack on it yesterday and it all powered up and did turn over but I didnt continue to try anymore from there.

Now from what i have found out from my research it was produced in September 1978 which makes it one of 98 made that year and was in the first group of RHD manuals ever produced. It is originally from the UK. Was first registered here in 1990. 

From what i can tell it looks to have the M90 (will confirm, now that i know to look for the L on the block)

I have looked in most spots for rust everything looks fine. But that is also without getting it on a hoist. Now my first goal is to get it running and to move it from where it is to give it a major water blast.

How much work is going to be involved for me to get this running. I know ill need to dump the old fuel. 

Here are some photos of the car not the best as its in a dark corner in the back of the warehouse.

Bmw front shot.jpg

Bmw front side shot.jpg

Bmw side shot.jpg

Bmw engine bay.jpg

Bmw odometer.jpg

Bmw interior.jpg

• Like 9

has had later body kit fitted ?

That will be a fantastic car to own when its finished.

The wheels are worth the purchase alone! 

Also what i have found that it was bought brand new by the sultan of brunei in the uk.

Brent answer to your question i do not know all those specifics unless it was possibly an added option by the sultan same as the horrid steering wheel that looks to be a bmw option too but i could be wrong.

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The wheels are worth the purchase alone! 

Whats a pain is there is only 1 centre cap that i can find.

Does the #5550006 chassis/engine number (Carjam) mean this is only the sixth RHD 635CSi built?

15 minutes ago, integrale said:

Does the #5550006 chassis/engine number (Carjam) mean this is only the sixth RHD 635CSi built?

I would say so being the Sultans car in the uk. 

Wow thats super cool, well done!

Whats the story behind it? Why is it sitting rotting at your work?

51 minutes ago, KwS said:

Wow thats super cool, well done!

Whats the story behind it? Why is it sitting rotting at your work?

No idea i know the guy stopped paying storage for it a few years back so i offered to buy it from my work to pay for some storage costs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottharvey said:

No idea i know the guy stopped paying storage for it a few years back so i offered to buy it from my work to pay for some storage costs

Score!

• Like 1

Looking at Carjam, you'll want to sort out that Rego pronto, does not appear to be on hold.

e24s are prone to rust, though yours came into NZ ~30 years ago with just ~20k miles on the clock.  There's a fair chance it's in reasonably sound nick underneath.  The general parts such as brake hoses, pads & rotors, suspension bushes, cooling system parts etc are essentially as cheap as e30s, and in plentiful supply.  You can expect to replace pretty much everything that's rubber as the car is approaching it's 41st birthday, particularly fuel system.  Once it's thoughtfully recommissioned you'll have a cool car.  

e24 values are on the up.  They're not making more of them, and if one wishes to campaign a classic BMW touring car, with the (escalating) state of e30 M3 prices, the e24 makes great sense at a more 'affordable' level.  Meanwhile you can enjoy an excellent road car.

EDIT:  appears it'll need new odometer gears too - they've been broken a long time!

Edited by Olaf
Odo.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Looking at Carjam, you'll want to sort out that Rego pronto, does not appear to be on hold.

Thankfully its just ticked over 40 years, so has two years before its dereg, but yes, worth sorting asap anyway.

I'm not 100 % sure on this but I think when it comes to recovering storage costs, items legally have to be sold by auction to realise the best possible price, but yes, it will be detailed in the storage agreement.

23 hours ago, scottharvey said:

Also what i have found that it was bought brand new by the sultan of brunei in the uk.

Brent answer to your question i do not know all those specifics unless it was possibly an added option by the sultan same as the horrid steering wheel that looks to be a bmw option too but i could be wrong.

ill take the steering wheel if you're planning to ditch it ;)

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

There'll be a process to follow to sell the vehicle to recover unpaid storage costs, no doubt detailed in the storage contract.

yes like the rego something to ascertain before going too much further,or indeed ANY further.I must admit to seriously considering one of these despite my ambivilance to the interiors

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

e24s are prone to rust, though yours came into NZ ~30 years ago with just ~20k miles on the clock.  There's a fair chance it's in reasonably sound nick underneath.  The general parts such as brake hoses, pads & rotors, suspension bushes, cooling system parts etc are essentially as cheap as e30s, and in plentiful supply.  You can expect to replace pretty much everything that's rubber as the car is approaching it's 41st birthday, particularly fuel system.  Once it's thoughtfully recommissioned you'll have a cool car.  

e24 values are on the up.  They're not making more of them, and if one wishes to campaign a classic BMW touring car, with the (escalating) state of e30 M3 prices, the e24 makes great sense at a more 'affordable' level.  Meanwhile you can enjoy an excellent road car.

EDIT:  appears it'll need new odometer gears too - they've been broken a long time!

what makes you think the odometer gears broken?

2 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

ill take the steering wheel if you're planning to ditch it ;)

do you have an original one to swap??

17 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

so your work is the legal owner or ???

The owner is one of my bosses mates so they just selling it to me on behalf

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Thankfully its just ticked over 40 years, so has two years before its dereg, but yes, worth sorting asap anyway.

i just updated it so its on hold again now thankfully

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scottharvey said:

what makes you think the odometer gears broken?

I havent got car jam open but I guess it's done zero km for the last few wofs? 

6 minutes ago, KwS said:

I havent got car jam open but I guess it's done zero km for the last few wofs? 

yeah i just looked at it looks like it is. Is that a hard fix or will a need a new cluster??

1 hour ago, scottharvey said:

The owner is one of my bosses mates so they just selling it to me on behalf

i am sure it is all legit but see if you can ensure you will be the legal owner with no comebacks form say the previous owner estate