Sign in to follow this  
beemwr

e30 318is RS (Race Sport) Replica Road/Race?

My dilemma:

1.What is the worth of this vehicle as a race car?

2.What would this be worth as a road going track car?

3.What would it's worth be if it was half-caged, trimmed and road registered?

Interested in anyone giving opinions and advice on the above spec; and even checking it out in the 'For Sale Forum' for more detail.

NB I had a e30/m50 as in pics and in #3 livery

DSC00477.JPG

DSC00475.JPG

DSC00462.JPG

DSC00489.JPG

DSC09558.JPG

DSC09562.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC09555.JPG

Edited by beemwr
Added more pics and edited txt.
  • Like 1

Pricing of race cars is notoriously difficult, they usually have very high levels of $$$ and effort put into them but get little to no return on that.

A couple of questions about your car, does it have the 318iS M42/M44 motor in it? Is the cage MSNZ homologated with log book etc?

This would help estimate the value more accurately!

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:
1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Pricing of race cars is notoriously difficult, they usually have very high levels of $$$ and effort put into them but get little to no return on that.

A couple of questions about your car, does it have the 318iS M42/M44 motor in it? Is the cage MSNZ homologated with log book etc?

It has an m44 engine/20gearbox/RHD lightweight flywheel/stage2clutch/rebalanced drive shaft/4.27diff.

Suspension upgraded/bbs wheels toyo 888 205 50 15 tyres

e30/rx7 4-pot grooved rotors and new blue hawk pads

has homolgated cage & log book

race seat and current r/belt

gauges/shift light

would need re-reg/cert/ most things there for wof

has surge tank

Thanks for the details. With that engine and brakes it’s not eligible for the BMW Race Series E30 Class, but it can enter the 2.0ltr Championship which is very popular, more cars than E30s at some meetings. Being suitable for a popular class helps with demand, no point having a race car with nobody to race against.

Would it be worth more if you got it re-registered, possibly but not more than the costs of the rego process I would suggest.

In normal circumstances I would have said  $8k asking was a good price, comparing with the other E30 race cars for sale. However with Covid it’s all a whole new world, so who knows..?

With the race series cars it is all about what cars are proven high performers.

I got good money for my series car but only because I put it near the front.  Otherwise there were far better presented E30's out there going for much less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Thanks for the details. With that engine and brakes it’s not eligible for the BMW Race Series E30 Class, but it can enter the 2.0ltr Championship which is very popular, more cars than E30s at some meetings. Being suitable for a popular class helps with demand, no point having a race car with nobody to race against.

Would it be worth more if you got it re-registered, possibly but not more than the costs of the rego process I would suggest.

In normal circumstances I would have said  $8k asking was a good price, comparing with the other E30 race cars for sale. However with Covid it’s all a whole new world, so who knows..?

Does an affordable 'motorsport car' have merit in the scheme of things?

Especially when it is relatively low cost to run, maintain, can be driven to events, compete and driven home again.

It needn't just sit on a trailer when not at the track but could double up as a second car to visit the shops, go to work etc.

For my money the the BMW Race Series does come at a greater cost than doing local events where there are under 2 Litre categories for hillclimbs, Bent Sprints, Manfeild R&T, Surgery Intermarque or the class time bands at Manawatu Car Club Summer/Winter Series etc which this car has been doing.= 23 odd events for a year's motorsport spend <$3000 pays for a lot of smiles when on the way home.

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

With the race series cars it is all about what cars are proven high performers.

I got good money for my series car but only because I put it near the front.  Otherwise there were far better presented E30's out there going for much less.

Yeah, was it the horse or was it the rider.

Looked/contemplated at some of those Series cars and couldn't see the merit in any so bought a caged car albeit unregistered and went from there. 

Added pics of our e30/m50 which was sold  last year.

Yeah, heeded a car dealers advice of trimming inside etc. he offered $5k as was. (It was in race trim, as it  just had it's first and last race meeting on a winning note.) Thought, mmm nah I can do that, added the trim, as in 7th pic. Took it back to the dealer saying I wanted $10k out of any deal he could broker, he was hesitant, but rang me on my way home to come back pronto, he had a buyer. The prospective owner had seen the car at the track and also saw it drive into the dealers yard and wanted to purchase it. But when he saw it 'trimmed' asked if it could be returned to race trim, which I willingly did...hence my ongoing dilemma and not spending time and money without some certainity of a reward.