Sign in to follow this  
HypedKidz

E46 M3 Cheeeap

Even a "proper repaint" makes me suspicious. To get that perfect OEM satin finish without filling in the stampings for the vin....

I wouldnt touch, especially considering that manual NZDM one that sold the other day for not much more. Higher KM, sure, but a much less dodgy prospect.

7 hours ago, KwS said:

Even a "proper repaint" makes me suspicious. To get that perfect OEM satin finish without filling in the stampings for the vin....

Vapour blasting would take the metal back to steel, then you spray the bay with no clear in your gun. It’s incredibly simple to mimic paint finish as poor as BMW have been outputting over the last 20 years. The  challenge really is to get as much orange peel into the clear as they seem to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know how its done, my point is that almost zero painters are going to bother going to those efforts to paint an engine bay, and then refit new OEM stickers. They're more likely to paint it gloss and make it look "nice" since its so much effort to do.

I concur on orange peel on modern cars though, some of them are shocking.

Counterpoint: the car (at one point) had most of the Schnitzer E46 catalogue on it, and came out of one of the most expensive to live countries in the world. It really isn’t beyond the realms of possibility to think that the original owner changed the colour of the car at the same time, and had a proper job done. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Counterpoint: the car (at one point) had most of the Schnitzer E46 catalogue on it, and came out of one of the most expensive to live countries in the world. It really isn’t beyond the realms of possibility to think that the original owner changed the colour of the car at the same time, and had a proper job done. 

I had a Mercedes which came in from Singapore about 15 years ago and it had been repainted from metallic black to silver, including the engine bay. It was actually pretty well done in the sense that there was no evidence until I dinged up a panel and found what was underneath... 

^^ same as my e46 now I think about it. Only reason I found out as I looked up what the colour was via the sticker in the engine bay, and the car didn't match the sticker!

On 6/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, JohnM575 said:

Seems like the seller doesn't mind being a bit misleading...

image.png.c5bb90b45092afdedab674cfb7c7c1b1.png

I noticed last week someone had hit the buynow offer of $24K, but then was relisted today.

image.png.4a036371316e3411f6d5b1738d4e7503.png

I thought it was just de-registered due to a rego lapse? ?

i think it was imported with structural damage, repaired, put on the road, then rego lapsed and reregistered?

so two different issues

I certainly wouldn't say that structural damage was "listed on the auction" and IIRC the answers to one of the questions was "nothing he was aware of".

But I think we've all concluded this is an "avoid" vehicle.

Edited by M3AN

Its fortunate for some, moreso the diligent buyer that the BMW here in NZ community is small.

And knowledgeable, well about most things BMW anyway?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

i certainly wouldn't say that structural damage was "listed on the auction" and IIRC the answers to one of the questions was "nothing he was aware of".

But I think we've all concluded this is an "avoid" vehicle.

Yeah this seller seems like a dishonest scumbag.

Edit: called him out on it for the hell of it. He responded. Guess that's enough for anyone viewing the listing to make their mind up :)

Edited by Matth5

He got a bit defensive on a Facebook thread about it too, was amusing 

Yeah. All that effort making up excuses just to avoid being straight up and honest.... some people lol. 

Got a link to the facebook thread, or is that somewhere private? 

Edited by Matth5

24 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Yeah. All that effort making up excuses just to avoid being straight up and honest.... some people lol. 

Got a link to the facebook thread, or is that somewhere private? 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/546131948789959?view=permalink&id=2898711136865350

Apparently there's another one somewhere but I can't find it