Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

19" -> 18" on F31

Thinking about changing the 19's (currently running stock tires - 225/40/19f + 255/35/19r run flats) to 18's - probably the style 398 in orbit grey (18's are the smallest that will clear with M-sport big brake kit). Pros and cons? Guessing the ride will be a little better on 18's (stock tires are non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and tires may be a bit cheaper too? Anything else I should know?

IMG_3928.jpg

Are you wanting to downsize for better ride quality? tyres will definitely be cheaper but you still need to buy the wheels anyway. Maybe just go for new 19” Non runflats?

The f30 19” msport wheels look good on an e90/91 wagon so might be an easy sell. 

gl

My car came with 19s with runflats.

First I swapped to standard tyres, difference was huge. So much better. 

Later I downsized to 18s... difference was enough to be noticeable but pretty small. I swapped back to the 19s after wearing out the rear tyres on the 18s and still found the 19s pretty comfortable. 

Unless you want new wheels for other reasons, just swap the tyres. Looks like the tyres are fatter on the F31 so your car with 19s will probably still be more comfortable than mine on 19s. 

Have to agree - have 19” on mine and even with relatively average tyres non-RF that it came with (from Auckland BMW no less) the ride is firm but not uncomfortable.

I don’t really see the tyres as being a large cost personally for this type of vehicle. 

08CC0F1E-7C2F-4F31-A9BA-CF4C0EA19C35.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's are 50% more expensive in 19" ($575 vs $350 per corner) so it's not a small difference, but agree that running a newish BMW is never going to be cheap. 

54 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Thanks for all the advice. Michelin Pilot Sport 4's are 50% more expensive in 19" ($575 vs $350 per corner) so it's not a small difference, but agree that running a newish BMW is never going to be cheap. 

So $900 on a full replacement set which is what maybe every two years? Really worth all the effort of changing wheels? (which I would assume you would potentially lose money on too). 

Maybe I am just profligate but I personally wouldn’t bother. I don’t look at cars as having any saving/optimisation to them. Just a money hole.