Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

N55 baffle plates

I'm not convinced baffles are enough on their own, it probably wouldn't be enough for me to be comfortable going all-out on the track in mine again. 

The M2 has a dual oil pump design.

This thread is pretty good, he ended up adding an Accusump:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/addressing-n5x-oiling-and-spun-rod-bearings-accusump-installed.4034/

I'd want either a retrofit with something like the M2 system or an Accusump.

But I think I'll wait until I can get an M4... :)  Turning a non-M into a track car ends up costing you as much as buying the M version, and you're left with something that's worth far less from depreciation...

With my luck you'll probably see a thread from me in a year after my new M4 engine seizes on the track. 

• Like 1

Matt, I can see where your coming from, its a lot of cash if it goes pear shaped again. I was keen to make my old E46 a track-day car until I read a journal about a guy who did just that, the M54 failed on him twice, oil pump and something else I cant remember. His conclusion was buy an M car that's what they are designed for. 

11 hours ago, Matth5 said:

This thread is pretty good, he ended up adding an Accusump:

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/addressing-n5x-oiling-and-spun-rod-bearings-accusump-installed.4034/

I'd want either a retrofit with something like the M2 system or an Accusump. 

A very excellent read. 

I wonder if the n52s suffer the same issues, or only to a lesser extent as they would likely be going slower.

3 hours ago, nick496 said:

A very excellent read. 

I wonder if the n52s suffer the same issues, or only to a lesser extent as they would likely be going slower.

I reckon it'll be a lesser extent but not by much, you can still enter most corners at a similar speed. Just your braking won't be as intense. 

The more powerful cars go faster in the straights and brake earlier, but your cornering speed is similar, since that's all about grip (and how bold you are). 

I do suspect the B58 in the F series and Supra might be better. Since the Supra is advertised as a track capable car. But I'm not confident enough to put my money on that. I started a thread on it on one of the bimmerpost forums to see if anyone had much experience:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712582

Not much in the way of technical stuff, and the same guy from the Accusump thread above commented, and he doesn't think it'll be any better. 

Edited by Matth5