Sign in to follow this  
ctho

Importing cars from Japan

Hi all, 

As per the title I am looking at importing some cars from Japan and would love some advice on it. I have read through a few threads but they all seem 5-10years old so would love some new input. Currently looking at using either JPC Trade or IBC Auto. Does anyone have any experience with these? Things to look out for? 

Thanks in advance 

Things to look out for... 

- Buying cars that can’t be complied in NZ ( happens a lot, plus new ESC rule just come in)

- Additional costs at compliance. It’s not just a WoF check so likely to get a few things to replace

- on later cars GPS and Nav updates will need to be done.

Other than that it could be a good time to buy, low demand in Japan should give some low sale prices. Not sure what the exchange rate is doing.

I’ll leave the Jap Import Bingo for the others... and go!

• Like 1

Slightly off topic... but, does anyone know what websites the dealers in New Zealand use to source their cars in Japan?

Specifically the nice stuff, old and rare etc 

E30 M3s, Integrales, nice Porsches etc

It's not a good time to buy.  NZD is utter trash at the moment.

Don't forget to add GST, Shipping, Shipping Insurance to the cost.

The Agent will also have a cost.

Transport from the Warf to the compliance center or your house.  Tow trucks are usually not allowed.  It will need to be a car transport company.

Avoid anything with previous crash damage.  NZ Standards are much higher when complying a vehicle, I have had to re-do entire quarter cuts that were not done correctly and were not discovered upon initial inspection.

Just like a car auction in NZ people in Japan try to flog off their junk.  And they will try and hide it.  Trust no one.

An NZ agent will look after all this for you.  And some offer protection for unseen issues.  And a few years ago there were so many agents out there the margins were small.

there are deals to be had here at the moment. you should be able to tighten the thumbscrews on FB Marketplace stuff. 

Agent fee 100,000 yen ($1,500 NZ) and around $1400 for shipping just check the months of sailing if heat treatment is necessary to kill stink bug add extra $ 250.

Then there is GST some shipping companys arrange this and pre MAF inspection in Japan which includes road transport to the nearest compliance firm from the port.

Compliance if you are able to do the strip and assemble work at the compliance shop around $220 + registration, I am not sure what the fill price of compliance is.

Edited by Dave@nz

I've purchased two Alpina's with the help of Carwebs - one form Japan which is why you should go to their website - most cars seem to be there on a Thursday. Carwebs lets you see the auctions without a deposit, although when you bid you are only instructing them. I've found them to be very helpful and their calculator helps with the landed cost - other costs all mount up including GST

• Like 1