Jump to content
Driftit

Shed fit outs

Recommended Posts

I just installed a bunch of Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra cameras around my place, pretty solid and clever.

Edited by Jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I just installed a bunch of Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra cameras around my place, pretty solid and clever.

They are good.

I went with Nest as I brought in all the alarm and smart locks from the US. High def recording, facial/person recognition and all backed up to the Google Cloud is pretty hard to beat. 
 

One thing I didn’t like about Arlo was no mains power (I know you can buy adaptors) although means you can place them anywhere. Also I think the Nest ecosystem is more complete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NZ BMW said:

They are good.

I went with Nest as I brought in all the alarm and smart locks from the US. High def recording, facial/person recognition and all backed up to the Google Cloud is pretty hard to beat. 
 

One thing I didn’t like about Arlo was no mains power (I know you can buy adaptors) although means you can place them anywhere. Also I think the Nest ecosystem is more complete. 

Yeah, there is a lot out there in the market, nearly went with a Ubiquiti setup running on its own box, but couldnt be assed running all the cat 6 around. All the ones that arent easily accessible I installed a solar panel on (which is about $100/camera). I went with Arlo as PBtech stock and support them, and I wanted them now! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What epoxy/paint do people recommend for a concrete garage floor?

I want something really hard wearing.

 

I dont mean to hijack the thread - I just thought here was a better place to keep all the information in the same place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a Resene 2 pack water based epoxy, mine had grit added to make it non slip, but I think you can get it without that, if you drop something heavy on it it will chip, but after 10 years of almost daily walking on it it hasn't started peeling or worn through yet. As with all coatings preparation is the key, I did mine onto new concrete which makes it a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if considering a typical timber framed and truss shed you could arrange for the roof trusses to have a whole bay where there were no trusses so a hoist could push the car up into the space where trusses would normally be.You just have some biiger purlins in there to span say 3m

Quote

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ This is excellent thinking!  @Driftit this sort of stuff is @kiwi535's specialty, very much worth examining 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news that the diy rules have been relaxed so you can now build a 30sqm structure on your land without consent.

I wonder if this includes garages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zero said:

Good news that the diy rules have been relaxed so you can now build a 30sqm structure on your land without consent.

I wonder if this includes garages.

No, they haven't.  They have announced they WILL be, sometime in August, and no I don't think garages are included , carports are.

I have had several phone calls from customers who saw this on the news and jumped to similar conclusions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damnit.

 

First time I've ever seen a Labour government actually reduce bureaucracy and costs instead of increase it so that was a suprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aja540i said:

and no I don't think garages are included

Any source on why you think this? Couldn't find anything to indicate a garage couldn't be part of the exemption. Seems like you can build any single-storey structure as long as its approved by a licensed building practitioner and under 30sqm, carports will be allowed to be up to 40sqm. Few other rules like the building can not contain sanitary facilities but can't find anything that would suggest a garage is a no go.

Edited by Harper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Harper said:

Any source on why you think this? Couldn't find anything to indicate a garage couldn't be part of the exemption. Seems like you can build any single-storey structure as long as its approved by a licensed building practitioner and under 30sqm, carports will be allowed to be up to 40sqm. Few other rules like the building can not contain sanitary facilities but can't find anything that would suggest a garage is a no go.

I could be wrong,  I wasn't looking for garages but I didn't see them listed. Anything you build will have to meet the requirements of the building code with regard to site coverage and distance to boundary etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aja540i said:

I could be wrong,  I wasn't looking for garages but I didn't see them listed. Anything you build will have to meet the requirements of the building code with regard to site coverage and distance to boundary etc, etc.

A garage is not a building meant for habitation so the standards for construction are less than a house....but of course in the future it may want to be converted to a tiny house...I think that is why there is caution with garages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...