Sign in to follow this  
JN9137

325 Head cracked help WTB.

Hi all, New member here. 

Just got myself an e36 150ks 325i Convertible.

Overheated and opened with cracked head on cyl 2,3,4. Leaking trans (Manual swap if anyone have one for sale)

Anyone selling? checking on TM atm.IMG_20200323_132117_816.thumb.jpg.877fa45dfdfaafb39e561443769c779a.jpg

Any other stuff i need to worry about? 

Auckland

Thanks!

What has the workshop suggested ?

Was it going when you purchased it or did you buy it like that?

Edit: To save a lot of time can you give us a bit more info or history to stop all the twoing & frowing with questions & answers

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

single vanos ? have a mate with 3.2L s52b32 from a us spec m3  , would bolt straight in $3000 for the engine 

Yeah so found this on Fb before the lockdown. running, sounding, and drives all good, drove it to my friend place and on the way there it started overheating. found theres a crack on top rad hose mounting plastic on the radiator (bubble soap water method). So i bleed the system and use jb weld stick (obviously doesnt really work, half assed this one my bad). when i tried to bleed them but only steam through bleed screw, seems like the water didnt get to the engine. so i jack up front and fill coolant on to top hose so the coolant goes straight to engine (thermostat removed by prev owner), start the engine and it started lumping and engine sounds funny and started to have heaps of white smoke and pools of water on exhaust. did comp test and find cylinder reading not consistent, and low.

opened the head and cleaned the head and saw all that crack and deteriorated head gasket. so now finding another head and gasket. i know that alu head probably the cause of these crack because of their heat capability. I will check the roundness of the cylinder (vernier caliper on 6 or 8 points on each cyl) and if thyere flat, but its a small chance of them being cooked too right knowing they're cast block? 

4 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

single vanos ? have a mate with 3.2L s52b32 from a us spec m3  , would bolt straight in $3000 for the engine 

gonna be a big job wiring wise?

no plug and play then just remap the ecu ,

use all your electrics and manifolds from your 325i vanos engine 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, BM WORLD said:

no plug and play then just remap the ecu ,

use all your electrics and manifolds from your 325i vanos engine 

Nah not for now i think, just needed cylinder head and Manual conversion for now. also find out that the locknut aren't there in the car. dang.

any suggestion? wanting to change tie rod and because it moves and will probably fail wof. rear shock found leaking on one side too.

Thanks for the help!!

I'm not trying to get too personal here. But may I ask you how mechanically experienced you are ? Do you have the tools and experience to do this sort of work. These are not 1980 Toyota Corollas 

Whats your perceived budget and time frame to do the repairs ? 

I'm only asking you these questions so I can gauge what advice I might give you .

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 2

All good, not too much hands on exp. But i studied automotive to level 7 grad. Not a mechanic but know my ways around tools too. 3 years mechanic shop experience in general service and parts replacements. 

TBH,  Never did a full engine rebuild, this gonna be my first. did a 2000 mondeo wagon last year pickapart engine was alright. 

Started to think the s52 swap would be worth it. Since rebuilding gaskets gonna be exp anyway. 3-5k budget and time frame could be long as its not my main car. Just wanting to make this car a summer car. 

Was that you with the s52 engine? 

• Like 1

The S52 is being sold by BM World further up the page.  You will need a bigger budget to do the motor, clutch, flywheel, gearbox, driveshaft, diff (depending on gearbox type used) and cooling system ETC.....and there will be quite a few Extras 

• Thanks 1

Hi can anyone help with stockist for gaskets? needing the timing cover gaskets, rear main seal gasket

Timing cover gasket

pn : 11141720638 + 11141720639

Rear crank seal: 11141432240

Vanos gasket: 11361740840

Exhaust Mani: 11621728984

4 hours ago, JN9137 said:

Hi can anyone help with stockist for gaskets? needing the timing cover gaskets, rear main seal gasket

Timing cover gasket

pn : 11141720638 + 11141720639

Rear crank seal: 11141432240

Vanos gasket: 11361740840

Exhaust Mani: 11621728984

I'd get genuine ones, even if they're not strictly necessary. Either your local dealer or FCP Euro or Schmiedmann.

• Like 1

fcp euro or schmeidmann

• Like 1

ordered through quill (a friend works there) Thanks all!

Quill ?