Sign in to follow this  
sweetm3

Whats happened to M3AN and his Projects

50 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

It actually read quite offensive..

"Well f!#k you guys, I'm a devoted Scientologist and all you naysayers are wrong. WRONG!"

But then on 2nd thought I thought you may have been joking ? Probably were?

On the 17th of April when you went read-only I think I may have clicked the wrong thing when I was processing the warning. Apologies for that, it was a cock up on my part.

Anyway, you're obviously quite upset over this. From looking I can't see how to bulk unhide your posts, but have now revoked your post about the M3. I've also revoked your warnings. Let's try keep it this way ?

I think you may need to re-enable PM'ing yourself ? I get this message when trying to reply to a PM from you.

""M3AN will not see any replies to this conversation right now, but they may re-enable the messenger in the future"

That was clearly a joke.......

Anyway, good to see it getting resolved now.

7 hours ago, Arron said:

The funny thing here Dave....... 

it’s not the first time something like this has happened. I believe a similar thing happened to another extremely valuable member of the forum several years back. 

maybe there needs to be a changing of the guard? 

Who are you reffering to?

14 minutes ago, zero said:

That was clearly a joke.......

Anyway, good to see it getting resolved now.

Clearly my sarcasm receptors were offline.

I'm glad you're happy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

If either you or Jon had the courtesy to advise me what you found so offence I would have happily edited the posts myself, it's not like anything needed urgent or dramatic attention. 

You seem to forget that I tried to do that very thing, but you then responded with an abusive rant. At that point it was clear that there was no reasoning with you.

The fact that other members had both called you out on your comments and raised reports on them would suggest that action was necessary.

After numerous posts had been edited, not just yours, gentle reminders and general warnings had been put in the thread you still carried on.

Was always a slippery slope when the thread moved from how lockdown was affecting peoples lives into politics.

FWIW I didn’t touch any account settings, wouldn’t even know how to tbh. Thought you’d packed a sad and taken your ball home with you.

• Like 3

As a general point it is worth mentioning what constitutes being “offensive”.

It is not a case of whether the person posting finds it offensive, but whether others reading the same post might do so.

To avoid issues it is better to err on the side of safety and set a slightly lower bar. Hell, if I used my own personal standards of what’s offensive then there would be hardly any members.

The chances of a small Kiwi web-site being involved in legal action over what is posted is pretty remote I would suggest. However, there is still a moral obligation to prevent offence being caused, whether intentional or accidental.

• Like 2

When the blowback is worse than the original “crime”.

?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

To avoid issues it is better to err on the side of safety and set a slightly lower bar.

this is a good rule of thumb. internet is a wonderful but also potentially nasty place.

lets keep it the former.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zero said:

Who are you reffering to?

My guess would be Steve Murch. Was looking forward to his V10 build too!

From what I understand with Steve the issue was a general one with other posters disagreeing with him, rather than the admins. Might be wrong as I was not directly involved.

3pedals is not banned or blocked from what I can see, pretty sure he did storm off in a huff.

• Like 1

Losing Steve's knowledge on here is a great loss.

Yes, he certainly knew his stuff with turbos.

He disappeared completely for a while, not even answering his phone from what I understand. He was on a lot of other forums and facebook groups that I visit and disappeared from those as well.

Whilst bimmersport can get a little unruly from time to time (see above...) some of the Facebook groups are just brain damage, for every half intelligent post on there you get a hundred posts of "nah g, my cuzzie did it for half that price and it's all gudz" or some rubbish. I think it was that kind of thing that really got to Steve, and in the end he said, and even posted somewhere I think, "I've got more than enough business to keep me busy, so I don't need to keep arguing with Facebook experts" which is fair enough.

The word of mouth reputation for Steve and his existing customer base will keep him more than busy, but as you say its a shame his advice that he was happy to give free of charge is no longer available.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

3pedals is not banned or blocked from what I can see, pretty sure he did storm off in a huff.

I've just received these by email 30 minutes apart. Can this be fixed ?

3 Pedals.jpg

3 Pedal 2.jpg

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The comment by Jon above is incorrect - I did not storm off in a huff  I just don't see the point in posting if its blocked by a moderator and never appears - you can take this response as an example of being blocked 

Your comments were never blocked, they only needed to be approved before they were made public on the forums as you can see from your posts above being on this thread.

I have removed this from your account now, as requested by Glenn.

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Welcome back, William.

Same here ?

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Your comments were never blocked, they only needed to be approved before they were made public on the forums as you can see from your posts above being on this thread.

I have removed this from your account now, as requested by Glenn.

Pretty much the same thing isn’t it?

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You seem to forget that I tried to do that very thing, but you then responded with an abusive rant. At that point it was clear that there was no reasoning with you.

Oh, I'm sorry I missed this. I firmly disagree with your characterisation of my PM as "an abusive rant". If you think it was either abusive or a rant then you're not qualified to use the internet, let alone moderate a public forum.

I'm not going to argue with you about it, post the PM in full here if you like, let everyone judge it for themselves.

Depends on your viewpoint I suppose, but to me something, or someone, that is “blocked” is unable to post on the forums. By inference I would take this to mean it is done automatically by the software and is irreversible.

As opposed to something, or someone, that has to be reviewed by a human before it becomes public on the forums.

There are also different warning levels for the two things one for reviewing, another for blocking completely.

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Oh, I'm sorry I missed this. I firmly disagree with your characterisation of my PM as "an abusive rant". If you think it was either abusive or a rant then you're not qualified to use the internet, let alone moderate a public forum.

I'm not going to argue with you about it, post the PM in full here if you like, let everyone judge it for themselves.

Do you ever stop to think how the things you post might be interpreted by the person on the other end of your comments?

Seriously Jon? You're going to argue semantics on this one? 

• Like 1

Just now, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Do you ever stop to think how the things you post might be interpreted by the person on the other end of your comments?

And, given the above exchange about 3pedals I think we could ask you the same.

My PM was neither abusive nor a rant, your description was inaccurate.

28 minutes ago, M3AN said:

My PM was neither abusive nor a rant, your description was inaccurate.

That’s your view point, but back to my earlier posts, it’s not about how you feel about it. More how others do, or may feel.

I may feel that it’s totally justified to start calling people derogatory names, as from my perception they are deserving of such derision. However, I would also consider how it would be received by that person if I said it to their face, and how anyone else reading those comments would take them.

So whilst you may feel that referring to those that disagree with you in derogatory terms, “conspiracy theory nut-jobs” I think was in the PM, and anyone who is offended by your comments is a “snowflake”, is acceptable, I would disagree and interpret both of those as being terms of abuse and hence hence abusive.

We all have different levels of tolerance and personally I would suggest that mine are pretty high and it is not me that is being offended. That is not the test that is being applied here, refer back to the first point.

In addition, and applicable to both yourself and 3pedals, when someone is warned (after threads have been edited) and then responds with a PM that basically states “don’t tell me what to do” it does cast some doubt on whether you have taken on board what has been requested.

18 minutes ago, M3AN said:

You're going to argue semantics on this one? 

Were posts from 3pedals being posted on the forum... yes.

Therefore were they blocked... no.

Interestingly posts were being made, and approved, for quite a period of time before the radio silence. As far as I remember, none were actually stopped from being published, but it was a while ago.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, NZ BMW said:

When the blowback is worse than the original “crime”.

?

On the contrary, it has stimulated some robust discussion and some valid points have been raised.

Also on the plus side it seems that a number of moderators / admins are now more active so the load will be spread more evenly, which should provide more consistency.