Sign in to follow this  
sweetm3

Whats happened to M3AN and his Projects

44 minutes ago, M3AN said:

If you think it was either abusive or a rant then you're not qualified to use the internet, let alone moderate a public forum.

And once more for luck.. it’s not about whether you or I think it was abusive.

In terms of what constitutes abuse, I used to moderate on a Football Hooligan forum in the U.K., now that was proper abuse, combined with a very real threat of violence in the real world. Ok it wasn’t public and the members knew what they were getting into so you can let things get more heated. So the stuff on here is real tame for me, but does that mean it’s acceptable... not really.

6 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

On the contrary, it has stimulated some robust discussion and some valid points have been raised.

isn't it just unfortunate that it has taken "sh*t to hit the fan" for things to start (hopefully) rolling again? i am pretty sure that some of the stuff that's been happening was never intended in the intent of bimmersport and maybe people need to loosen up a bit and try and find the good ole days?

Has anyone heard from Ollie recently? multiple emails and calls still lead to no avail on contacting him

• Like 1

It’s been pretty much the same since the site began, every once in a while things will get a little unruly and a warning or two issued, maybe someone banned, and then things settle down for a while. Rinse and repeat.

Ahh, the good old days when everybody talked sh*t about their cars and helped each other out. With the odd “funny” thread thrown in here or there.

Maybe we should stick to cars (with the odd motorbike for Graham) and leave the politics / religion / conspiracy theories to other web-sites?

Talking of the good old days, the two posts stickied at the top of the New Members forum make some relevant reading.

As for Ollie, he’s still around, still busy.

Loosen up the moderation a bit is a good thing, personally I think a bit of jab back and forwards online is healthy and shouldn't be moderated. I haven't seen anything from 3pedals or M3AN that would justify anything worthy of even consideration of a ban (in any form), in fact the opposite (and ive been here for 12 years!)  I moderate a few groups with a few thousand or so members, and sit on the council of a non profit organisations of a few thousand people... over judicious use of the ban hammer doesnt work online or in the real world and just causes more sh*t, and in the case of online forums its often the beginning of the end.

On a BMW faceballs group I moderate, my policy is only banning people who install V bars, particularly those made out of garden hose and broomhandles. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Maybe we should stick to cars (with the odd motorbike for Graham) and leave the politics / religion / conspiracy theories to other web-sites?

Exactly, all that chat does is divide which is a shame.

It's nice to come here relax and talk about car related things only. 

• Thanks 1

Banning or silencing members should ALWAYS be the last resort and is generally considered overkill and a bit gross. 

• Like 2

I honestly can only remember approving your posts, but it was a time ago.

Not trying to make excuses, but I’m not the only moderator, and I don’t know if you’d get a message saying if or who had declined the post?

Don’t quite know what you’re implying about integrity, but I don’t have anything to hide, apart from a possibly bad memory.

22 minutes ago, KwS said:

Banning or silencing members should ALWAYS be the last resort and is generally considered overkill and a bit gross. 

Totally agree, and that is never a desired outcome, and it is very rare on here. I can only think of one person who has been banned.

?‍♂️

Late to the party.

Just a note on Steve.  He actually did vanish for a bit.  And it pissed a few people off that I know.

Steve is actually a really great guy.  But doesn't always remember not everyone knows who he is or how talented and knowledgeable he is.  And can blow up at times because of that.  He also gets a lot of time wasters wanting his knowledge for free when that is his livelihood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why was Ron/William put on restriction in the first place?

Hes another guy with alot of knowledge.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

Why was Ron/William put on restriction in the first place?

Hes another guy with alot of knowledge.

You must be new here... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, M3AN said:

?‍♂️

Is this your idea of engagement, follow up and respect? Someone goes to lengths to explain things, as per your request and you respond with an emoji.. are you identifying as a 13 year old school girl or something?

So glad I clearly wasted time I simply don’t have right now to respond to you. Do unto others and all that.

Whilst you may not believe it, long term productive members do get more lee-way with any potential issues. However, as you are not privy to how other users / posters are handled you will have no baseline to compare against.

That does not mean it gives carte Blanche for you to post everything and anything you want, the rules do still apply.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

are you identifying as a 13 year old school girl or something?

and because you are a admin, you are allowed to make suggestive comments like this?

come on jon. whatever happened to repping thew behavior you want to see and all that jazz as a moderator? 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

That does not mean it gives carte Blanche for you to post everything and anything you want, the rules do still apply.

The point you seemed to have missed Jon is that I didn't break any rules. This is an obvious case of administrative overreach, perhaps your time would be better spent on solving that problem? Your various replies seem utterly tone-deaf (hence my facepalm emoji).

You could start by undoing the damage caused when I was inappropriately banned by restoring all my threads. Then we could have a chat about respect.

Edited by M3AN
spelling

Lol what a bunch of  pre pubescent teenagers. Embarrassing really.

Just rm -rf the whole f**king server, job done.

• Haha 4

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:05 PM, Arron said:

and because you are a admin, you are allowed to make suggestive comments like this?

come on jon. whatever happened to repping thew behavior you want to see and all that jazz as a moderator? 

I was going with the new consensus of posting what the hell you like, as long as you are not offended, it was only a joke, I didn't break any rules, moderation needs to be relaxed, etc. Too much too soon?

I was going to just go with just a "Ok boomer" as we were at emoji level, but thought that a little crass, so expanded a little to give it some context.

So is that not the new behaviour that everybody wants, I'm so confused, if people could only make their mind up or at least be consistent that would be great.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:34 PM, 3pedals said:

+1 Posts were edited , hacked , deleted and offensive comments posted by the moderator and any opportunity to challenge/respond reasonably was, removed / blocked / shut down.

Not what the term moderator is taken to mean in a  forum or any moderating role context. 

But lets move on 

I would love to see what your definition of "moderator" is then, because your description in the first part of the line is pretty much spot on with what being a moderator is all about for a web-site.

If you post stuff that breaks the rules then it will be removed, hence the reason posts are "edited / hacked / deleted" it would be kind of pointless having rules about what can be posted if the stuff is just left on there for all to see wouldn't it?

Also if you read the rules posts then there is a process if you wish to challenge or respond.

The filter on your posts has been removed as requested, so yes rather than going over old ground, lets please move on.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:34 PM, M3AN said:

The point you seemed to have missed Jon is that I didn't break any rules. This is an obvious case of administrative overreach, perhaps your time would be better spent on solving that problem? Your various replies seem utterly tone-deaf (hence my facepalm emoji).

Strange, when I look at the Forum Guidelines (call them rules if you wish) which are stickied in a number of the sub-forums, in the section entitled "Reasons for moderation at our discrection" there are quite a few areas that you may have missed.

Point 2, Personal Attacks of which there were several throughout the thread and in your PM.

Point 7, Point 9, Point 12, Point 13, Point 14, Point 15. Some are quite similar and overlap a bit, but you get the gist.

You may well argue, that if these rules were applied fully then just about every post on Bimmersport would be moderated, which is probably true, but that is where the element of "discretion" comes into it. The intention is not to stifle any debate or discussion, but to intervene once things have gone beyond the point of being what a reasonable person would accept. If you feel that is over-reach then maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

You could also suggest that constantly repeating "I didn't break any rules" and not being prepared to listen to exaplanations is also a form of deafness.

Last word much Jon? ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I was going with the new consensus of posting what the hell you like, as long as you are not offended, it was only a joke, I didn't break any rules, moderation needs to be relaxed, etc. Too much too soon?

I was going to just go with just a "Ok boomer" as we were at emoji level, but thought that a little crass, so expanded a little to give it some context.

So is that not the new behaviour that everybody wants, I'm so confused, if people could only make their mind up or at least be consistent that would be great.

no Jon, it's just again that you expect differently from others than you do of yourself i feel. and your "Ok boomer" attitude clearly shows this. Jon, maybe it's time you stepped aside for awhile if you are a little confused to give you time to gather your thoughts? 

as a community are we not allowed to call those that are "superior" out for acting in ways that they ? or is this turning into a dictatorship? 

Again, like multiple people have highlighted. This forum needs new leadership, and some new moderators. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If you post stuff that breaks the rules then it will be removed

But the person posting and breaking a rule must be advised why he is being warned or why his post is deleted so that he can reply. That's been a rule for the whole time I have been on here.. It applies to administrators, owners and moderators.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

But the person posting and breaking a rule must be advised why he is being warned or why his post is deleted so that he can reply. That's been a rule for the whole time I have been on here.. It applies to administrators, owners and moderators.

Yup, something that has been followed, with the possible exception of For Sale posts without prices and/or pictures for the umpteenth time from the same poster.

3 hours ago, Arron said:

Again, like multiple people have highlighted. This forum needs new leadership, and some new moderators. 

Fill your boots!

• Like 1