Sign in to follow this  
Crozzy

Manual Swap Coding Error

After completing the hardware side of the manual swap on my 2001 (prefacelift) e46 330 I've gone ahead and attempted the coding as well. It seems to have been mostly successful, I no longer have the cog icon on the dash, however the ASC is disabled due to fault 151 (Coding Issue). After many hours attempting to Google-Fu my way to a solution to no avail, my next stop is to see if anyone here has any ideas. Here are the steps I took.

Used NSC-Expert to write modified VO to EWS and KMB modules. (Removed checksums, changed SA last digit from an 8 to 0, recalculated checksums)

Used NSC-Expert to recoded KMB, EWS and ASC modules with a blank FSW_PSW.

Used INPA to clear all adaptations in DME.

Car drives normally otherwise, no faults in the DME

You should only need to remove option $205 and then “process car”. This will set all modules to default and without automatic transmission. 

dont “process car” if you have made changes to any of the settings within any modules.. they will be lost. ( I found out the hard way!) if you have custom settings you will need to process the relevant modules only.. 

changing the VO can go wrong if the setting in NCS expert are not right, which may be the case with your ASC error.?

otherwise you could just read the ASC Module,  check the settings with “NCS for dummy’s” or “BMW Coding Tool” And change if necessary.. 

goodluck..

Edited by Dogballs
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dogballs said:

You should only need to remove option $205 and then “process car”  ...

Cheers for the reply. From what I gather removing option $205 is for facelift models, prefacelifts have to play around with hex codes as I have done unfortunately. Seems to be heaps of documentation for coding the former and very little for the latter.

It also seems to be advised not to use "process car" and instead code only the modules you actually need to to reduce the risk of communication loss and destruction of modules.

I'll have another play around today and see if I spot anything obvious that I missed the first time. Thanks again, appreciated!

On 5/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, Crozzy said:

Cheers for the reply. From what I gather removing option $205 is for facelift models, prefacelifts have to play around with hex codes as I have done unfortunately. Seems to be heaps of documentation for coding the former and very little for the latter.

It also seems to be advised not to use "process car" and instead code only the modules you actually need to to reduce the risk of communication loss and destruction of modules.

I'll have another play around today and see if I spot anything obvious that I missed the first time. Thanks again, appreciated!

if you get stuck PM me. happy to help. 

• Thanks 1

Just a little update to end the thread in case someone one day encounters the same issue. I have only just solved it now as the car was working fine regardless and as such it wasn't exactly a pressing issue to fix. That being said I had some time today to try again and I managed to clear the error by changing the last line of the ASC fsw_psw from manual back to 'automatik' to see if it would make her happy. Low and behold, it worked! No more dash lights, huzzah!