Sign in to follow this  
Harper

Are there any extra parts that are worth replacing while replacing the clutch? (E46 M3)

The clutch in my E46 M3 is on it's way out and has been for a little while (no slipping just the bite point gradually shifting up over time.) Been budgeting and planning on replacing it since I bought the car as it's on it's original clutch at about 165,000kms. More and more I'm thinking I might do the replacement on my own just to save on costs a little (still undecided). Looking at replacing both the clutch and flywheel. I've got a small list of parts pulled together that I'm looking at replacing when I do the swap pretty soon such as, a bronze pivot pin, pilot bearing, clutch release bearing is included in clutch kit, replacement fly wheel bolts and guibo maybe? Is there anything else I should look at replacing while I've got the transmission out? Any tips or things to look out for from someone who has done it before?

Rear crank seal? Might be worth it at that mileage.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Rear crank seal? Might be worth it at that mileage.

I'll add it to the list cheers.

Depends on your level of OCD really. Apart from what you mentioned in the kit I usually end up doing everything below for piece of mind.

• Guido, center support bearing and driveshaft nose bushing
  • Re-grease CV with a new gasket
  • Transmission mounts
  • All shifter bushings
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Selector rod seal (usually leaking) and rear main seal
  • Slave cylinder
  • Exhaust gaskets and nuts 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Depends on your level of OCD really. Apart from what you mentioned in the kit I usually end up doing everything below for piece of mind.

• Guido, center support bearing and driveshaft nose bushing
  • Re-grease CV with a new gasket
  • Transmission mounts
  • All shifter bushings
  • Flywheel bolts
  • Selector rod seal (usually leaking) and rear main seal
  • Slave cylinder
  • Exhaust gaskets and nuts 

Exactly what I was looking for thanks for your help. A few of those were done when the UUC short shifter kit was put in relatively recently so I won't do them all. Hadn't thought of getting replacement gaskets and whatnot for the exhaust and replacing the transmission mounts. Appreciate it.