Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

$1 res F11 528i

Really like the spec on this one but worried about the ex-SG import status mainly. 

I kind of like that its got the 2L turbo, its the N20b20 same like the new 3 series 320i but much more power producing 180kW instead of 135kW.

Should be sweet! Much better than the older N52b30 NA.

Wonder what it will go for..

Works fine for me when I click on it

I took another look, the /a/ pages use a 3rd party script which will be blocked by many browsers (mine included). The /browse/ links work with all security settings. YMMV. 

Edited by M3AN

On 5/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, qube said:

Should be sweet! Much better than the older N52b30 NA.

You might want to hand back your petrolhead credentials preferring a turbo 4 to an NA inline 6...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My heart will always beat for the inline 6's.. M52, M54, N52b30 (in a 130i), S52/S54, etc

but the new 4 cylinder turbos, especially this one with 180kW is a great engine performance and economy wise and well suited to this car imo. Not a big fan of the sound of course..

I remember going for a ride in a 528i F10, I was amazed at how four cylinder like it felt in a cheap way. 

Definitely didn't give off that quality BMW feel of old like an E39 525i would have, even if it's slower.

Can't beat the harmonics, vibration and 120 deg power stroke interval a straight six provides, it's 180 degrees per power stroke in a four cylinder, significantly more lumpy! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, qube said:

My heart will always beat for the inline 6's.. M52, M54, N52b30 (in a 130i), S52/S54, etc

but the new 4 cylinder turbos, especially this one with 180kW is a great engine performance and economy wise and well suited to this car imo. Not a big fan of the sound of course..

Have you driven one?  Whilst they have a mediocre amount of power.  The engine doesn't feel like it was made by BMW at all.
It just drives so weird.  Soulless.  Like a modern Mazda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Soulless.  Like a modern Mazda.

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Have you driven one?  Whilst they have a mediocre amount of power.  The engine doesn't feel like it was made by BMW at all.
It just drives so weird.  Soulless.  Like a modern Mazda.

Have owned and driven an F20 116i with the soulless 4cl turbo for over a year alongside my F20 M135i. Yes, the 4cyl is more like a glorified corolla but I enjoyed it for what it is, not for what its not. 

Also test drove plenty of 320i F30/F31 in hopes of buying one but never found one with the right spec so didnt settle. It was also "fine" in my opinion.

Drove a couple of 328i F30 and they were also good.

Have driven the older 6cl 528i F10 numerous times and I think its average. Heavy and underpowered for a big car. Need to rev it to get any torque. 

I think they all drive like a BMW, not like the older ones but still very BMW like. Keeping in mind that "being like a BMW" has changed over the years, what it once was it no longer is. You can tell from what they have done with the new 1 series switching to fwd and how they have changed out the 6cyls in favour of the turbo'd 4's.

I think the 4 cylinder makes sense in a 1 series, and 3 series. But not 5+ series. 

30 minutes ago, Michael. said:

I think the 4 cylinder makes sense in a 1 series, and 3 series. But not 5+ series. 

I think you may be right. I could be overestimating the 4cl turbo's capabilities in the much bigger chassis of the 5.

Maybe thats why its ex-SG. A lot of cars in Asia tend to have the combination of small engine to body size. like 520i and audi a6 2.0 etc. I remember seeing heaps of long wheel base varients of cars over in China that I never knew even existed. The emissions regulations and taxes on the bigger engines combined with the perceived luxury status of driving a limo over there..

Anyway, at $20k+ for this example, its no longer on my radar. time to look elsewhere!

On 5/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, qube said:

Have driven the older 6cl 528i F10 numerous times and I think its average. Heavy and underpowered for a big car. Need to rev it to get any torque. 

I bought one of these for the wife - a Motorsport one.  I think a lot of the lazy side comes from the transmission and throttle programming for economy.  Put it in Sport and it wakes up quite a bit.  It’s not a rocket but a great family cruiser.  The engine is a lovely turbine and sonorous enough.......would drop it instantly for an e46 M3 though......and didn’t want the bills connected to a v8 for a daily......

7BBD43AE-690C-4494-915F-3A11C1D6CB3A.jpeg

Edited by NUSTAD
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

I bought one of these for the wife - a Motorsport one.  I think a lot of the lazy side comes from the transmission and throttle programming for economy.  Put it in Sport and it wakes up quite a bit.  It’s not a rocket but a great family cruiser.  The engine is a lovely turbine and sonorous enough.......would drop it instantly for an e46 M3 though......and didn’t want the bills connected to a v8 for a daily......

Nice, looks very good in msport with those 19" wheels. NZ new too! Those rear lights though? looks a bit white? aftermarket?

The car (engine and gearbox) is perfectly suitable for what it is - the mid range for the 5 series and great for cruising and normal driving. Definitely no rocket but it isnt trying to be. you have the 535, 550 for that. It still goes great in sports mode and if you rev it out a bit more. 

The biggest plus of these F10's is the nice comfortable interior and seats. I think its a great buy especially with the prices they have dropped to. Definitely a waaaay better 5 series than the E60 ever was.

1 hour ago, qube said:

Nice, looks very good in msport with those 19" wheels. NZ new too! Those rear lights though? looks a bit white? aftermarket?

Factory option white line tail lights.  Very chav which I like!

33 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

Factory option white line tail lights.

Really? 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, M3AN said:

Really? 

yes - receipts from BMW palmy north.......$1000 to rice your BMW.   Would you be happier if I said factory accessory?

Edited by NUSTAD
Update
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NUSTAD said:

Would you be happier if I said factory accessory?

No, not at all, "factory" is perfectly fine, thanks for the confirmation and paint me floored.

I won't repeat it, I might get banned, but your description is apt. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NUSTAD said:

Would you be happier if I said factory accessory?

This would definately trigger my pedant button, factory accessory is an oxymoron. However, like many technical terms, across many industries, things get mis-labelled and mis-quoted until they become common parlance.

Anything that is added after the car is a "local fit" or "dealer fit" accessory, often with the word "Genuine" added in for good measure. Which if those lights were added in Palmy would be the case for these lights. These terms have particular relevance when cars are modified or tuned at the dealership - ie a BMW M Performance power & sound pack is added to a car, as this affects things like the emissisons and fuel consumption, etc. but this does not have to be recorded in the MVR / fuel saver information. If the same part were fitted at the factory it would affect the official information stored on the MVR. A technicality maybe, but a legal one.

End of pendantry.

Just out of mild curiosity are the lights actually BMW parts, or from an aftermarket supplier?

• Like 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=423170&d=1282802738

think it looks good on a lighter coloured car, but loses the nice contrast between a dark colour and the red

• Like 1

Gaudy is the word that immediately springs to my mind.

Shouldn’t the guy working for BMW know that clear taillights have been a retrofit option on the 5 series since the E60? 

The wheels on the OP car are Kelleners Sport btw, they’ve been a bmw tuner since the 80’s.

Would probably depend on what the guy’s job is tbh. And primarily amongst that what division of the company he worked in , V / M / K  / B or H, dealership or NSC or SF. 

There’s quite a lot of ground to cover.