Sign in to follow this  
Jacob

First E92 335i

Hi guys my name is Jacob and this is my E92 335i in Monaco Blue. I am abit late to creating an account on here so ive attatched a few photos of when i purchased the car last year in late July as a daily driver. Loving the 335i as a platform from other previous cars ive had like my old r32 gtr. The comfort, luxury and performance for the price is probably one of the best cars out there in my opinion.

Over the almost year ive owned the car i have added a simple trunk spoiler lip, stage 1 tune, vertini wheels, H&R lowering springs and soon to have fitted a 1m style front bumper. Have plans this year to go FBO and stage 2+ along with potentially an m sport rear bumper and some side skirt extensions.

received_489911138406402.jpeg

20200314_104456.jpg

20200314_104538.jpg

20200314_104543.jpg

received_528448057910313.jpeg

Snapchat-1642819061.jpg

Edited by Jacob
  • Like 4

Nice. They're awesome cars
"Have plans this year to go FBO and stage 2+"

I've done this and wish I stopped at stage 1+.

I'd recommend sticking with stage 1+ and enjoying it as a street car. Otherwise with the added maintenance, repairs, possible future WOF issues with going catless... you'll wish you just bought an E92 M3 or even an F82 M4 instead :) 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 4

nice car, love the monaco blue. I think that rear boot spoiler looks awesome.

Also, I reckon keep the rear bumper, think they look fine and msport bumper is everywhere.

1M front bumper will be cool, something different.

And very nice R32 GTR!! hard to see these days.

• Like 1

E92 looks great, and love an R32, those have aged so well IMO. 

• Like 1

E92s are fabulous to drive. Took mine for a drive to Piha and loved it.  They have beautiful lines too, gets a few compliments. I am sure yours does too especially in blue and those wheels. Nice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Nice. They're awesome cars
"Have plans this year to go FBO and 2+"

I've done this and wish I stopped at stage 1+.

I'd recommend sticking with stage 1+ and enjoying it as a street car. Otherwise with the added maintenance, repairs, possible future WOF issues with going catless... you'll wish you just bought an E92 M3 or even an F82 M4 instead :) 

I have a good mate who works at Eurosurgeon who can help me out and what but would also like to upgrade the charge pipe and a few other bits for reliability and potential maintenance problems futher down the track. What problems did you end up having?

Edited by Jacob

6 hours ago, qube said:

nice car, love the monaco blue. I think that rear boot spoiler looks awesome.

Also, I reckon keep the rear bumper, think they look fine and msport bumper is everywhere.

1M front bumper will be cool, something different.

And very nice R32 GTR!! hard to see these days.

Will post a photo of the car with the 1m bumper installed roughly end of next week

2 hours ago, Contrails said:

E92s are fabulous to drive. Took mine for a drive to Piha and loved it.  They have beautiful lines too, gets a few compliments. I am sure yours does too especially in blue and those wheels. Nice.

Yeah for sure!, I havent had the wheels on that long as they were installed just before lockdown and then needed to sort out some fitment issues as they are a resonably agressive setup.

21 minutes ago, Jacob said:

I have a good mate who works at Eurosurgeon who can help me out and what but would also like to upgrade the charge pipe and a few other bits for reliability and potential maintenance problems futher down the track. What problems did you end up having?

Wait you're running a tune on a stock charge pipe? That's asking for trouble :)

Well stage 2+ gets to the point where you need downpipes (potential WOF trouble down the line), you might want to upgrade the diverter valve, you're doubling the boost the turbo generates leading to more wear. You'll want to shorten your service intervals for everything engine related from the extra wear. The extra investment is pretty significant here just for a little extra kick. You'll spend more time logging, potentially find more issues related to misfires, knock, injectors...

And if you add up the costs for all of this, it just doesn't make sense because by the end of it the car depreciates to nothing regardless, next buyer will probably be scared to touch something that's been running an aggressive tune for a long time. 

Keep the money for your next car, you'll thank your past self when the time comes around.

I don't think the extra fun of Stage 2+ was worth the expense and effort compared to stage 1+. You'll be upgrading suspension components to go along with the added power probably? More money!

I didn't have any reliability trouble myself after going stage 2+, but I spent a lot making sure the car was able to handle it. Enough that the cost of the mods + extra servicing + time made up the difference in price between the 335i and an M3...  so if I bought the M3 I'd probably be just as well off financially, and might not have the few grey hairs that have appeared recently :)

It's possible it contributed to the eventual engine failure I had on track (although I stil think it's mainly oil starvation). Now... if I repair this car, I probably wont even recover the repair cost when selling it. At least if it was an M3, the cost of an engine rebuild wouldn't exceed the value of the car!

That's another thing... you'll spend all this money on it, and it still will not be a track capable car like an M. You'll need something to help with the oil circulation so it can survive the cornering. It's a street car. A great one at that, but not a track capable sports car!

Edited by Matth5

Here's how you remind yourself you have enough power: Go out to some back roads, and try flooring it! :)

You can hardly use all the power of stage 1+, where are you going to put stage 2+ to use? 

I think it's when I had my car in workshops or not driving for a while, reading forums and seeing the mods that were available, that would always tempt me to buy new upgrades.
Generally I would add upgrades when it was already in getting some job done. 

Take it from someone who modded the sh*t out of a 335i... it's like  drug, you just get carried away and forget to appreciate the car for what it is. 

I'm going to try to have some more self control on the next car.... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Well stage 2+ gets to the point where you need downpipes (potential WOF trouble down the line), you might want to upgrade the diverter valve, you're doubling the boost the turbo generates leading to more wear. You'll want to shorten your service intervals for everything engine related from the extra wear. The extra investment is pretty significant here just for a little extra kick. You'll spend more time logging, potentially find more issues related to misfires, knock, injectors...

And if you add up the costs for all of this, it just doesn't make sense because by the end of it the car depreciates to nothing regardless, next buyer will probably be scared to touch something that's been running an aggressive tune for a long time. 

Keep the money for your next car, you'll thank your past self when the time comes around.

I don't think the extra fun of Stage 2+ was worth the expense and effort compared to stage 1+. You'll be upgrading suspension components to go along with the added power probably? More money!

I didn't have any reliability trouble myself after going stage 2+, but I spent a lot making sure the car was able to handle it. Enough that the cost of the mods + extra servicing + time made up the difference in price between the 335i and an M3...  so if I bought the M3 I'd probably be just as well off financially, and might not have the few grey hairs that have appeared recently :)

It's possible it contributed to the eventual engine failure I had on track (although I stil think it's mainly oil starvation). Now... if I repair this car, I probably wont even recover the repair cost when selling it. At least if it was an M3, the cost of an engine rebuild wouldn't exceed the value of the car!

That's another thing... you'll spend all this money on it, and it still will not be a track capable car like an M. You'll need something to help with the oil circulation so it can survive the cornering. It's a street car. A great one at that, but not a track capable sports car!

Yeah currently am.. will throw in an upgraded one with probably an aftermarket BOV to keep the turbos happy.

36 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Yeap have heard a few stories of oil starvation on track due to the oil pick up... Yeah trying to keep it a reliable, quick car that doesnt turn into a money pit

Edited by Jacob

Nice looking car, love the subtle blue.

I also second the opinion to not go to Stage2+. I had it, and the power was just stupid for the road. Sure, you could pass anything in the blink of an eye (and risk your license in the process) but acceleration from a stop/low speed was greatly hampered by not being able to put that power down. Even with an LSD my car struggled, it killed a lot of the enjoyment of trying to drive it fast. Without an LSD it would've been impossible. It was good for sliding around, if that's what tickles your bits. Stage1+ is just more useable.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful looking car, but I am biased towards E92s. I have a stage 1 plus tune and have tried it at stage 2 and 2 plus and I am with Matthew. My 335i runs a few mods, Intercooler, charge pipe, PCV and oil catch can and M3 control arms. What my car is missing is a LSD. I have driven an LSD E92 and its a bigger step forward than a stage2 plus tune. Its easy to want extra HP, I do understand the attraction but you will struggle to get it down, go for the LSD next.

• Like 2

Have the 1m bumper finally painted and fitted, has changed the front end!

20200614_115458.jpg

• Like 2

That's a really nice addition to the front.

Well done.

Edited by smiddy
Spelling
  • Like 1