Sign in to follow this  
rookie2446

n46b20b help inpa

hay guys I've got a bit of an issue I've replaced my valvetronics and hoping someone in here is north shore based who has inpa knowledge, and willing to do a home visit from what I've read start and end stops needs to be calibrated and I'm unable to do it.......  happy to pay what ever it costs  

On 5/22/2020 at 8:51 PM, rookie2446 said:

hay guys I've got a bit of an issue I've replaced my valvetronics and hoping someone in here is north shore based who has inpa knowledge, and willing to do a home visit from what I've read start and end stops needs to be calibrated and I'm unable to do it.......  happy to pay what ever it costs  

As far as I am aware it is not necessary. A number of posts also say it is not needed. It would appear the crucial thing is to extend the eccentric shaft back to the full out position that it is in when the engine is off...essentially how you found it. I've taken my servo out and put it back in with no ill effects whatsoever. Putting the key fob in and pressing start without putting your foot on the brake will trigger the 'learning' process too apparently. When I did my valve cover gasket I do remember listening out for the 'noise' after turning the ignition on (not starting the engine) and there is/was a clear 'whine' of the motor doing its thing. 

BMW TIS mentions nothing of it being needed either. 

I have have the 'relevant software' (not sure how the forum is about mentioning names) and wouldn't have hesitated to use it if needed. 

EDIT: For clarity this is on my N46T E87...

Edited by HalfJobHarry
addition detail

yea I've read the posts and a couple of youtube videos and forms saying to insert the key fob press on the accelerator pedal etc,

I've done half a dozen combos still cant get it to trigger  the learning process? for the start and end stops of valvetronics.  checked the new motor to see it's not faulty with a voltmeter and new motor works, 

also during the lock down the battery died I had to get a brand new replacement the exact one and I have a feeling battery registration might be screwing with the system to go into learning mode ? 

from what I've seen the inpa has to be used to get the start and end stops calibrated correctly, well outside my level of knowledge 

8 minutes ago, rookie2446 said:

yea I've read the posts and a couple of youtube videos and forms saying to insert the key fob press on the accelerator pedal etc,

I've done half a dozen combos still cant get it to trigger  the learning process? for the start and end stops of valvetronics.  checked the new motor to see it's not faulty with a voltmeter and new motor works, 

also during the lock down the battery died I had to get a brand new replacement the exact one and I have a feeling battery registration might be screwing with the system to go into learning mode ? 

from what I've seen the inpa has to be used to get the start and end stops calibrated correctly, well outside my level of knowledge 

I think 'learning mode' is too much of a fancy description. This is something that happens EVERY time the ignition is turned on. If you fitted the new servo and extended the screw all the way as you found it....you're essentially good to go. Are you experiencing a problem? If so what is happening. You getting a CEL or something? 

I've removed my servo at least twice without really going to any special measures.....

If you replaced the battery with the same chemistry type and ampage then there is nothing to register. That's only required if you change the chemistry or capacity so the IBS system knows what is fitted. 

The 'learning process' is only key in slot, press start (without foot on brake)...that's it. It does it every time. 

Edited by HalfJobHarry