Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

I have power!

Guest Andrew

Just got back from the mechanic - where i've been since nine oclock tuning my car.

All i can say is wow. Its like driving a 325, sounds the same, feels the same. Perhaps not as quick though.

Basically we have done a whole bunch of AFM tweaks and removed the bolt that stops you from advancing the timing too much. I'm now running 20 deg of timing (its fun) with no knock. We had it on 25 but it would knock going up hills.

Couldn't test it much in the wet, 1st gear wheelspins at any speed at WOT.

I suggest anyone with L-Jet trys this tweak - a targa 320 has had it done. It may not work on older motors that have small compression leaks.

Pros:

Fast and looooads more power

Sounds great and is so smooth

Cons:

Loss in drivability - idle is high, its hard to get moving off the lights etc.

Have to run on $$ 98 all the time.

Thanks to Ernst at Bavarian Motors

good to hear Andrew, pity dyno's aren't free 'cause it would be good to see where and how much it gained & lost power.

Crank it to 25d when you have some avgas for it!!!

Guest Andrew

It's only $50 for a power run for BMWCC members...

is that all Gavin charges? I thought that was a special offer sort of thing.

really $50 dyno runs for members? rad....yeah i had a wee drive......haha after stalling twice (noticed you left that bit out andy) feels REALLY good...almost a completely different car....starting to get scary now.....i like it a lot....now for my Motronic->L Jet conversion......

Guest Andrew

my dad just took it for a drive.. yeah he stalled also.. I haven't again yet.. i know i will though.

Guest Andrew

there's plenty of things to do first on your engine gus before you do that.

also why do you want to de-grade your engine?

Its not a degrade as such, motronic isn't any better at what it does - its just more friendly on emissions, electronic etc.

Guest MSBOND

me get dyno cheap, cos a dude out puke that has a dyno sponsors my brothers rally car. hehe contacts r sooo good! B)

Guest Andrew

Update: I just did 170 kms on 17 ltrs ($20 of 98 & $1.159) of petrol - that was until the empty light went on and not running through the reserve tank.

I used to get 120 ks on 17 ltrs of fuel

My economy has gone up - and that is flooring it almost all the time! YAY

Yeah...I'm taking some sugar to put in Andrew's gas tank at Taupo so that I can ensure I stay ahead of him on the track and to ensure that the 325i, isn't upstaged by the 320i.

Especially since Andrew's suspension is so much better than mine, and in the corners he will make substantial gains. Just as well there is no overtaking allowed in the corners :P

Cheers

Guest Andrew

Yeah...I'm taking some sugar to put in Andrew's gas tank at Taupo so that I can ensure I stay ahead of him on the track and to ensure that the 325i, isn't upstaged by the 320i.

Especially since Andrew's suspension is so much better than mine, and in the corners he will make substantial gains. Just as well there is no overtaking allowed in the corners :P

Cheers

Fine - you can put sugar in the tank if i get the steering wheel!