Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Bought an M4

Couldn't let the crappy weather prevent me from taking the new toy for a test drive.

m4.jpg

edit: showroom section might have been more appropriate. Mods feel free to move it... 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 15

Awesome, ready for the track out of the box this time! 

Shame on you! Now tell us more! ??

1 hour ago, Navin said:

Awesome, ready for the track out of the box this time! 

And the warranty even covers it. BMW dealer assured me non competitive track use is allowed for M cars. Scanned the fine print and didn't see anything that contradicts this ?
Being able to track this without worrying about blowing another engine will be great!

Think I do need to swap the pads though, apparently the standard pads are still a bit useless for the track. The manual mentions this too. 
This one has the steel brakes. I'm not rich enough for carbon ceramics, won't touch a car with them!

47 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Shame on you! Now tell us more! ??

Just shy of 30 000km, 2 year BMW warranty.

Some good options including:
Harmon Kardon sound system
Heads up display
Adaptive suspension
LED headlights with High beam assist - got to test this last night in the Canterbury countryside, it's awesome being able to leave your high beams on and see the car blank out sections of the beam when other cars come into view. 

33 minutes ago, qube said:

nice, love the red

Sakhir Orange. But it does tend to look more red than orange.

Will be keeping this one stock... I was struggling to find places where I could actually hold my foot down, and most of the time when I did I could see the traction control light flashing even up to 3rd gear in some places. I'm not getting why some people rush to tune these?!
Have yet to try the MDM mode, don't want to light up tyres until I'm a little more used to it.

Perfectly comfy on the crappy roads of Christchurch, you'd think it wasn't a sports car if you just drove it gently. And extremely sharp and stable when going at higher speeds on the back roads. Incredible suspension.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 4

a true M car indeed. must be light night and day compared to the E92

I got to have a short drive in an M3 about a year ago, I was well impressed, my short drive made me realise that its streets ahead of my e92, similar to how my e92 is ahead of my E36. Excellent car I am sure you will be happy. 

SHOW US MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

????????

On 5/26/2020 at 8:57 PM, M3AN said:

SHOW US MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

????????

Fine! :P

Have done some more driving, on my second tank of fuel now! 

I'd say while it's clearly faster than my tuned 335i... it does what it does with much less drama. It's quieter, so stable and composed like it's not even bothered when you're flooring it or slamming the brakes. I floored it in a countryside intersection and did a small drift, I was definitely a little sideways but I couldn't even hear any tyre squeal. Perfectly smooth, most mellow feeling drift ever. Maybe the fake interior engine noise was hiding the tyre sound. I guess if I imagine myself driving the 335i hard, making a lot of noise, spinning tyres, slamming the brakes... the M4 would casually keep up without breaking a sweat or making much noise.

It's so insulated, you can see why they added the fake engine noise. It's the only way you can tell what the engine is doing unless you have the windows down. At least with the stock exhaust, because it's not that loud. I think I'd want an aftermarket exhaust or downpipes before I disabled that (which I'm not doing any time soon).

I also don't get why some people online complain that it's constantly trying to kick the back out. I think these guys just drive with the assist on and assume every time they see the TC light come on it's just stopped them from throwing the tail out. 
I drive it around in MDM (from what I understand, it means assist only kick in if you go beyond a certain slip angle). Even with foot to the floor on imperfect roads I never had any unintended sliding, just on one slippery wet bit of road it struggled for traction from a standstill. Maybe my opinion on this will change as I get more confident with it, I'm still taking corners very carefully - both because I haven't driven in 6 months thanks to the situation with my old car and I'm still getting used to the M4. 

Speed builds up both more quickly and smoothly than the tuned 335i, it's even easier to get into loss-of-license territory when overtaking. I performed what felt like a slightly aggressive overtake on a country road of a single car, who was doing 90, and I hit 150kph as I was going past the guy... it barely felt any different to 100kph.
Think the same effort in the 335i might have me hitting 130... at least then I might keep my license if I get caught doing it!

The HUD is also great, seeing your gear and speed without having to look down is actually super helpful when driving a bit 'spiritedly' on the back roads. 

IMG_20200521_150751.jpg

IMG_20200523_145629.jpg

IMG_20200523_161152.jpg

IMG_20200530_161505.jpg

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 9

And that's why M cars are M cars.

• Like 2

And thats why a well tuned car will never be an 'M' car also ?

Sounds like an awesome drivers car. Trust me, there will be many more smiles to look forward to!

Summit Road in the Port Hills is an excellent place to put a sports car to the test...

Had an evening blast there to finish off the weekend!

IMG_20200531_173629.jpg

• Like 2

Told myself I wasn't going to mod it... a few cosmetic bits doesn't count right?

Hope these fit right. The CF weave isn't perfect on the diffuser when you look close... but it also cost a fraction of the price of the OEM one. 

cf bits.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Told myself I wasn't going to mod it... 

= 20k in mods minimum

It ranks alongside

Ill never sell this car = ill sell it the second something interesting appears

just going to have a couple of quiets = probably the biggest night of my life

Im not going to do anything silly = i may die

Put the diffuser on.

Looks great. As long as you don't look at the right side. Yeah not sure I like this... ?

IMG_20200808_143754.jpg

IMG_20200808_172943.jpg

IMG_20200808_172947.jpg

It's real CF with clearcoat, looks more or less like the CF in the M4 roof and interior trim up close. But the weave is just... wonky in places. 

Honestly the end result would have probably looked better if it was hydro-dipped or vinyl wrap with clearcoat on top lol. 

Maybe I should paint it gloss black. 

I ordered a CS style lip and side skirts off ali express - I know, big risk. Might just flog them on Trademe when they arrive in like 2 months. Can't make my mind up if I actually want a CF kit, not sure it's worth the trouble ?

Or maybe they'll look good painted/wrapped black to cover up the shitty CF weave. The spoiler looks fine, we'll see how the rest turns out.

Edited by Matth5

Crap quality photos incoming...

Test fitting the spoiler, it does look good on it ? It sits perfectly in place and I haven't even stuck it on yet. 

Do I paint the diffuser black or get rid of it? ?

IMG_20200809_125331.jpg

IMG_20200809_125341.jpg

Edit, not my car but a photo I found online of one in identical spec, maybe I should just do the spoiler on it's own:

IMG_2431.jpg

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I reckon paint it. Love the look of the diffuser + spoiler. Gives the rear end an aggressive stance

Maybe the diffuser looks worse in person.

i think it looks fine. 99% of people wouldn’t notice. 

52 minutes ago, Jdm135i said:

Maybe the diffuser looks worse in person.

i think it looks fine. 99% of people wouldn’t notice. 

this. if its really bad just get it painted black 

also when are you gonna change your username to M4tth5?

46 minutes ago, qube said:

also when are you gonna change your username to M4tth5?

Haha, good idea.

Fitment also looks a bit off in person, tbh I do think it looks worse in person than the photos. I emailed the guy I bought it from (a trademe 'store') asking if I could return it.

Buying these knockoffs on Trademe is pointless, they're just buying crap off Aliexpress, you may as well go straight there... I just bought another diffuser off there from a seller called ' JC Sportline". Seen some people buy stuff off them on the other BMW forums, their quality seems decent. We'll see.

Edited by Matth5