Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Bought an M4

28 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

...I just bought another diffuser off there from a seller called ' JC Sportline"...

I have something in my cart from them so I hope they're good!

Looking back at the pic of the diffuser and zooming in, I can't imagine a situation that cf weave could distort like that, but on the other hand it looks exactly like what happens with dip swirls when you remove the piece from the tub. Are there any signs of actual carbon fibre mat being used? Unless I could verify it as actual cf I'd assume it's dipped, some dips are good enough these days to defeat even a close inspection.

If it's not actual cf that would be an instant refund from Trademe, regardless of what the seller wanted to do.

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

I have something in my cart from them so I hope they're good!

Looking back at the pic of the diffuser and zooming in, I can't imagine a situation that cf weave could distort like that, but on the other hand it looks exactly like what happens with dip swirls when you remove the piece from the tub. Are there any signs of actual carbon fibre mat being used? Unless I could verify it as actual cf I'd assume it's dipped, some dips are good enough these days to defeat even a close inspection.

If it's not actual cf that would be an instant refund from Trademe, regardless of what the seller wanted to do.

I contacted the seller direct so I didn't end up buying through TM, but rather via email... 

You can see the weave isn't 2D, and the M4 has a fair bit of real CF to compare against so I do think it's real :)

It's not distorted, but rather the weaves aren't straight, it's just the effect it gives through the clear-coat that makes it look more like a distortion. 

I just popped the spoiler on. It's better, tiny gap on the left and right end if you look close 

Edited by Matth5

Carbon fibre mat can't do this, it would require both stretching and compression at enormous tension which would be impossible whilst laying it. The black stuff is 'floating' on the base, just like a dip would.

Unless there's actual evidence of real carbon fibre I can see nothing to suggest it's real at this stage. How it looks where it is straight isn't an indication that it's real cf, as I say, good dips look real these days. 

Cf is woven material, can you imagine any weave looking like this, regardless of the material? 

image.png

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

pretty sure all these cheap stuff isnt real CF but CF look.

i wouldnt care if it was $150 but if it was $500 then thats a big no

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Carbon fibre mat can't do this, it would require both stretching and compression at enormous tension which would be impossible whilst laying it. The black stuff is 'floating' on the base, just like a dip would.

Unless there's actual evidence of real carbon fibre I can see nothing to suggest it's real at this stage. How it looks where it is straight isn't an indication that it's real cf, as I say, good dips look real these days. 

Cf is woven material, can you imagine any weave looking like this, regardless of the material? 

image.png

Weave pattern can stretch and deform if it's cured under vacuum, 2x2 will show more distortion than 1x1, but if it's autoclaved it won't look anything this. I'd be inclined to agree that it's a dip. Although in saying that, some of the foil repairs in Bermuda on the AC50 during the America's Cup looked this rugged towards the end...

• Like 1

Can we put this in the same category of purchasing a semi expensive car but cheaping out on tyres like Ling Longs or Black Lions?

Here's a better close-up. 

Had a close look at it compared to the CF on my roof and interior trim, it has the same 3D depth and the fibers react to light in the same way. Still 99% sure it's real :)

12 minutes ago, HypedKidz said:

Can we put this in the same category of purchasing a semi expensive car but cheaping out on tyres like Ling Longs or Black Lions?

This is cosmetic stuff, not tyres,and the OEM stuff is waaaay overpriced... but yeah I'm not so sure I'll keep it. Maybe I'll get better quality aftermarket stuff, or go back to stock.

I don't want too much messing around with mods, I'm too OCD with this stuff and get carried away ?

IMG_20200809_214802.jpg

I've asked to cancel those Aliexpress orders for now as well, I change my mind 5 times a day on what I want, think I need to pause and reflect on what I'm doing, and figure out my end goal on this car ?

Plus installing mods when i live in an apartment is frustrating, I need to get back into a house!

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I don't think I can live with this spoiler either. Just can't get it to fit perfectly and this will drive me mad.

Don't even notice that scuffing on the right side before taking these pics. 

Don't buy this knockoff stuff if minor sh*t like this bugs you too ? And if you do just skip the Trademe resellers and buy if from Ebay/Aliexpress yourself...

If I do this again I'm doing it right...

IMG_20200810_135340.jpg

IMG_20200810_135319.jpg

If anyone is wondering how much the genuine stuff costs locally...

image.png.4882aad8ed9565fa87943bfc4c16da56.png

That's excluding GST :) 
+ up to 10 week delivery time.

Generally about 50% more than the US prices. 

GetBMWParts.com has the genuine spoiler for $475USD. Might be a little tempted to just get that... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Matth5 said:

If anyone is wondering how much the genuine stuff costs locally...

image.png.4882aad8ed9565fa87943bfc4c16da56.png

That's excluding GST :) 
+ up to 10 week delivery time.

Generally about 50% more than the US prices. 

GetBMWParts.com has the genuine spoiler for $475USD. Might be a little tempted to just get that... 

Hey balling ain't cheap :) 

• Haha 1

Cool car - great colour.   Mate has an M3 and has installed software updates from the web that has really woken up what lies beneath.   Having different m modes means you can have daily spec and mental spec.....look into it.......

Don't they look good together...

IMG_20201021_120501.thumb.jpg.8d23997c89b927586e3ef06ecb56d571.jpg

The straight at Ruapuna seemed like a nice spot to park..

IMG_20201021_144103.thumb.jpg.fc9d60a7d6eb42197c27ac8b7ef82372.jpg

Finally had time to stick on the OEM spoiler, and give it a good wash. Fitment was absolutely perfect. Why did I waste my time with that knock-off crap...

IMG_20201025_161246.thumb.jpg.511505b51e39b2b6a369bb62069931ce.jpg

Blacked out kidney grill:

IMG_20201025_161522.thumb.jpg.12ac045475456d721db1ac437500e3b0.jpg

Spoiler + blacked out diffuser:

IMG_20201025_161217.thumb.jpg.f815b911a3c3022c67f0af3bbf338d69.jpgIMG_20201025_161234.thumb.jpg.46a6137849ae26f6695718feb28774b2.jpg

• Like 5

Its crazy how much better the genuine spoiler fits, although you'd expect that given the cost!

Trackday ? I'll share GoPro footage when I've had time to edit it. Might be some more good pics of it if you follow Christchurch trackdays on Facebook, they had some photographers about... 

One of the spectators snapped this with his phone and sent it to me, pretty good pic!

Ruapuna Nov 2020.jpg

• Like 2