Sign in to follow this  
HalfJobHarry

Any demand for an E87 (and similar) leaky washer bottle DIY?

After working nicely for a year, my washer bottle is leaking. I know there are number of guides out there on this...but if there is any demand I'll document my efforts and throw a guide together....

Please do... I wasn't aware it was a common problem but if it is I'm likely to be a candidate.

46 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Please do... I wasn't aware it was a common problem but if it is I'm likely to be a candidate.

I've had it all with the washer. My import sat for 3 years in somebodies garage in Japan and the detergent turned to sludge totally blocking the washer pumps...the tank is really slender and fits inside the wheel arch so even when removed it was a bugger to clean. Was rolling marbles around in it and all sorts to dredge it out. Washers were just not working then. Sorted that, cleaned the pumps etc...all good. Now when I fill it it just leaks out. The pumps fit in upside down into two holes at the bottom of the tank. My money is that they are leaking at that point. It will be new o-rings at best, or worse new pumps (I'm not going to go that route as they are outrageous money...might hit a pick a part..nobody takes those because they are so hidden away)...but the 'go to' options seems to be pipe repair putty (the stuff that works in the wet and dries hard). 

To cap things off...the rivets holding the wheel arch panels are single use plastic rivets so have to have spares on hand to seal everything back up afterwards (fortunately they are only a couple of bucks for a handful at the dealer). 

I'll take plenty of pictures as I go, I need to look into how these people do good DIY videos....I'm thinking perhaps a Go-Pro on a head mount? 

Interesting, there's 2 x E87's at Zebra Onahunga if you're close, might be worth the $2 entry to see if they had bottles intact? Also consider pattern parts from China, if certain components are not prone to failure then it may be worth getting new.

It might be easier (and cheaper?) to start your DIY journey with photos rather than videos.

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Interesting, there's 2 x E87's at Zebra Onahunga if you're close, might be worth the $2 entry to see if they had bottles intact? Also consider pattern parts from China, if certain components are not prone to failure then it may be worth getting new.

It might be easier (and cheaper?) to start your DIY journey with photos rather than videos.

Good to know..yeah I'm only about 10 mins from Onehunga, Zebra is my 'local'...my pop in tomorrow and have a scavenge...got a few odds and ends on my hitlist. 

Unfortunately it's not the bottles themselves that are usually the issue..it's just a big flat plastic tank afterall, it's usually the plastic housing on the pumps that spring a leak or where there pump goes into the holes on the tank itself. Probably worth the trip even to nab a couple of pumps...although I think it may be an age related plastic fatigue thing so another 10+ yr old pump may not help. 

My leak is somewhat 'large' so I'm actually curious to see what's going on. The other annoyance is my theory that some of the many FRM problems people have are actually due to water ingress in this area from leaking water tanks or even rain/roadwater. I had to repair my FRM as it had some corrosion on the board...and I noticed some dampness and humidity in this area which the logical source would seem to be the water tank..it's just a theory though...

Regarding photos v video. I find I intend to document my efforts but forget to photograph critical points :D. Video would just run and capture everything. Photos for now though. 

most common is the washer pump leaking , seals fail 

2 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

most common is the washer pump leaking , seals fail 

Internally to the pumps themselves? Do you stock them new? 

EPC says: 

2 hours ago, HalfJobHarry said:

Internally to the pumps themselves? Do you stock them new? 

EPC says: 

call me 021433600