Sign in to follow this  
Jay055

320i 2005 oil leak fix

Hi guys, 

I hope you all well and safe. 

My 2005 320i starts to oil leak as this is annoyingly normal for this model, I’ve replaced the O ring my self but it doesn’t solve the issue, AA service repairs quote is around $500 to replace top seals and other things that I have no idea about. 

is this the normal cost ? Any suggestions and helps would be much appreciated. 

Cheers 

Jay 

This 15 year old BMW model will empty your pockets quicker than your wife. They end up leaking from every seal, gasket and hose at low mileage

• Like 3

Listen to Glenn.

I didnt with my n46 and paid the price.

• Like 1

This car is proof positive Germany is still pissed about loosing the war. It deserves none of your respect, care and least of all any more of your money. Get rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 12:46 PM, Jay055 said:

Hi guys, 

I hope you all well and safe. 

My 2005 320i starts to oil leak as this is annoyingly normal for this model, I’ve replaced the O ring my self but it doesn’t solve the issue, AA service repairs quote is around $500 to replace top seals and other things that I have no idea about. 

is this the normal cost ? Any suggestions and helps would be much appreciated. 

Cheers 

Jay 

They do leak as has been said from all over. I've never owned a BMW where I didn't have to change the valve cover gasket and a bunch of others. My advice is to try hard to locate where the actual leak is. Stick a pair of gloves on and feel around the valve cover, especially at the back. Another culprit is the oil filter housing. 

Also be prepared for your entire coolant system to start leaking soon too...from hose, tank, thermostat etc. If it hasn't been changed either yet, your water pump will be about to die. 

Unless you have positively identified the leak, don't part with any money unless the garage identifies the leak and pledges a fix.  

That said, oil housing gasket AND the valve cover gasket are easy/moderate DIY jobs requiring ordinary garage tools and is a few hours work (if you've done it before...took me twice that the very first time). 

Unless you are particularly attached to the car, think hard about what you do, but be prepared for massive expense over the next couple of months and years :(