Sign in to follow this  
Nzrooney

What would you buy for 10k?

Just as the title suggests, what bmw would you personally buy for 10k or under and why? I'm looking for something that is going to be a nice weekend car that looks great and has a good fun factor to it. I need something that is going to put a smile on my face every time I hop in it. Am I asking to much out of 10k or do I need to increase my budget? Any input is appreciated. 

Without more info pretty hard to suggest any model but an easy recommendation these days is the E87 130i hatchback.

Otherwise an E91 325i wagon is also a nice all rounder. Or an E90 330i sedan. Always go for an M Sport varient.

If you want something quick and have deep pockets for repairs/maintenance 335i coupes can be had for around 10k but budget another $5k in repairs for the next year just incase.

If you want something bigger, something like a tidy E39 530i is great if you can find one otherwise an E60/E61 530/540/545's are a great option, diesel options also available.

• Like 1

Weekend car with a massive grin on your face: - Z3/ Z4 in manual. imho. Heck, I was giggling in a Mx5. 

• Like 4

Cheers for the reply's. I had set aside money to try buy a decent e30 coupe to turn into a fun weekend car but it's getting hard to find one in decent shape. I have almost given up on this idea but that's why I am exploring other avenues. 

130i, I've been convinced.

Just enough power to be fun, just enough utility to be practical and basic enough that it won't cost you a bomb to maintain.

• Like 1

Fun weekend car... or daily plus a bit of fun in weekends?

For weekend I'd be looking to a nice E36 328 manual coupe with a few dollars left over sorting suspension.

Daily plus weekend, a manual E46 is the route I went and love it.

As M3AN says, the 130i is a hoot as well and prices on those are rock bottom at the moment.

A manual N52 Z4 would be fun if can find one, otherwise get a 130, join the cool kids club ;) In terms of bang for buck, 130s are absurdly good buying at the moment. 

I have an E91 330 as well, its a good family car and nice to drive, but in terms of weekend toy not so much, 130 is WAY more entertaining. 

Edited by Jacko

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

Weekend car with a massive grin on your face: - Z3/ Z4 in manual. imho. Heck, I was giggling in a Mx5. 

My wife used to have a 1.8 NA MX5 that I of course drove a lot - thing was great fun thrashing around under 100kmh

• Like 1

Recently had my E36 328i going. It's been really nice to drive.

As others have suggested, pick something up for less, and use the rest of the money on upgrades and maintenance.

Appreciate all the comments. Definitely giving me some ideas to think about.

Manual e46 ti with m54b25

A 130i with some $$ to spare for a decent LSD would be the sweet spot for that sort of money in my opinion

• Like 1

Z3 with the big engine and in manual if you can find one. 

I know I'm biased, but the Z3's are great fun.  Especially a 3.0L even in auto.  High smiles per miles factor.

There is 1 Z3 3.0L manual in Auckland somewhere.  Its the only one I've seen in 6 years of looking.  All the rest are auto's.

• Like 1

Haha 130i's representing.

Looks like you could get a 130i, Z4 3.0, E9x 330i, E6x 530/545/550.  Any of the 3.0 cars would be pretty good I guess, but I wouldn't be smiling every time I got in...

A V8 with a tickled exhaust might fit the bill.

Non-BMW:

Buy an Audi:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-2636334185.htm?rsqid=c555cba4fc8e4d83bc2e3b88ca2cef7b-002

Honda Euro R's are immense fun as well.

Edited by GorGasm

If you want a seriously quick car then 335i. You can get one for 10k with reasonable kms and they are quick. Much quicker than a 330 or 130i, the torque especially on tuned cars is huge.  The 130i has slightly sharper handling than the 335i but having driven both there is very little in it and its only when your balls out you will notice and at that stage the 130i can become a bit nervous. Tyres and suspension setup will make a noticeable difference and of course you can do the M3 control arm upgrade to really sharpen things up. All that said your torque out of corners will put car lengths on a 130i. 335i reliability can be an issue but it is  overstated and the common issues are not expensive, yes replace the charge pipe especially if you intend to tune it, because it is a tuners wet dream, cheap power is only a phone app away. The big issues are the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors. It seems we have far fewer injector issues in NZ possibly because many of our cars come from Japan with their clean fuel and NZ's gas is better quality wise than a lot of US gas. (I used to work for Mobil). I have owned my 335i for 4 years now and at 104kms its running beautifully. I see your in Kapiti, come over to the Hutt Valley and have a drive in my 335i.

Edited by Herbmiester

I'm liking the idea of the 130i or 335i. I will have to do a bit more research on both and hopefully come up with a suitable choice. I really appreciate all the input. If I make a decision I will let you all know.