Sign in to follow this  
SteveArmy90

Ding ding - Round 2. E90 330i Msport.

It's been a year and a bit Since the fiasco of the 135i. Since selling it immediately after it was fixed for a silly price and swearing off BMW's, I realized it was I that was the problem.  Maybe not so for the problems occurring, or the way I was treated by the dealer, but for not doing any research and jumping into a car having no idea what I was dealing with (yes, you told me so!).

Since the 135i, I've owned a Toyota MarkX 2.5 that thundered through oil, a Ford Territory with ABS issues and a distinct odor (read: poop), and an '06 2.3 Mazda 6 which was solid as a rock but underwhelming.

I managed live cheaply enough to pay off all of my debt from previous cars including 135, and try and be happy with the Mazda... But surely enough, the itch came back and I yearned for excitement, a feeling I'm sure some of you with family cars and daily drivers are familiar with!

The catalyst for the change was my Fiance buying a '14 Santa Fe, and me 'inheriting' her Camry. I managed to sell the Camry (03, traveled 360,000km!) and the Mazda for a combined budget of 6k.

Flicking through Trade Me a few weeks ago, I found this; an 06 E90 330i, 143,000km, for $6500. In our house, you leave your boots, bags, and BMW's at the door. In fact there might be a bar of soap lying around for anyone that mentions a German car after the 135i. Despite the resistance I knew I'd get, I shielded my monitor and did my research. To my delight, the car seemed perfect and it met my main criteria: it was port injected. The water pump and thermostat were done in 2006 and the seller was the third owner. He had receipts and evidence of its servicing at both Auckland city Bmw and BM workshop. It sounds like it's been in Auckland its whole life.

Here's her specs in M Decoder.

I Managed to convince Mrs Steve with a lot of talking and nodding in the Santa Fe's general direction. It paid off as she was smiling the moment she drove it. I've given it a clay bar, wax, and an interior clean, although the interior was redundant as the previous owner had kept it really nicely!  I have to repaint the front bumper as it has quite a bad split in the middle due to a driveway. I offered 6k and drove it away.

It's a lot of car for 6k and I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20200530_124132-min.thumb.jpg.4993e32005b7b443bfb598f4d7dc2b5c.jpg

IMG_20200529_100507.jpg.9b04e7f3e8890d9bc4ccfdd43dec0458.jpg

IMG_20200530_153832_1_25.jpg.c3cbfaad9242905591c50d799e8b175e.jpg

So today, my friend and I went for a bit of a spirited drive from Masterton to Mauriceville and Back via Whangaehu valley road. I'm not sure if anyone has been down there but it's a really nice drive with a bit of everything driving-wise. He bought his 2zz Celica which he hadn't had long either. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Clipboard.thumb.jpg.8577511513beb4072664a548f7d47cd3.jpg

100501383_941717632915669_1832443686554697728_n.thumb.jpg.7ccc2a828855dca21dc4576101884a23.jpg

Now that I have a not-lemon, I'll pay my subs and start coming to events, eh ?.

Edited by SteveArmy90
  • Like 3

Nice. I went and saw this and offered $5500 due to the imperfections with the bumper and a few panels and also because i didnt need it badly. Didnt end up buying it obviously but the engine sounded sweet and also had a sunroof which was nice. 
Good buy for sure at 6k it had good service history. Only one big thing was the main seal slowly leaking which will need attention at some stage not urgent and also needed spark plugs i think. 

• Like 1

Great buy - I saw this on TM as well and thought it looked like great value - few km, but the N52 has a great rep.

M Sport, with the sports leather instead of the marmite velour, sunroof, better MV3 alloys and no i drive.

Hope it serves you well - can't believe how cheap E90 6 cylinders are getting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, qube said:

Nice. I went and saw this and offered $5500 due to the imperfections with the bumper and a few panels and also because i didnt need it badly. Didnt end up buying it obviously but the engine sounded sweet and also had a sunroof which was nice. 
Good buy for sure at 6k it had good service history. Only one big thing was the main seal slowly leaking which will need attention at some stage not urgent and also needed spark plugs i think. 

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Great buy - I saw this on TM as well and thought it looked like great value - few km, but the N52 has a great rep.

M Sport, with the sports leather instead of the marmite velour, sunroof, better MV3 alloys and no i drive.

Thanks Guys! The lack of iDrive was another attractive point to me. I picked up on the plugs but haven't seen that leak. I'll get it up on the hoist tomorrow. I see interestingly that #6 coil pack was done and no others. 5 cylinders would've sounded interesting.

9 minutes ago, Sammo said:

It was $1500 cheaper than the next other 330 on TradeMe and the only Msport. I wonder if the stiff suspension puts people off?

• Like 1

Just a slow market. Also cosmetically it was quite rough. 
i have the service papers if u didnt get it from the seller

14 minutes ago, qube said:

Just a slow market. Also cosmetically it was quite rough. 
i have the service papers if u didnt get it from the seller

I have a fair few in the owners manual pamphlet. Did you procure others from the dealerships themselves?

That would be really cool to have if you don't mind.

That looks really nice, and a much more solid prospect than anything N54 powered. Looks like a nice spec too. Good choice.

PM me your email address i'll forward them to you mate.

Kind of makes me regret not getting it. Would make an excellent daily for sure.

• Thanks 1

No iDrive is the big winner in these cars IMO. 

The one in my old X5 was just so out of date and so slow it was pointless. 

• Like 1

I think an acquaintance might own your old 135i, he seems very happy with it. 

Lol I remember your 135i thread. Bummer that you sold it, but hopefully this one causes less stress for you!

I think the E90 330i's are pretty hassle-free, unlike the 335i's. Amazing that they're so cheap now, they're still excellent cars. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

I think an acquaintance might own your old 135i, he seems very happy with it. 

They were cool people! the car went back to Auckland. Not sure if plates are a no-no but it's LPG616 :)

3 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Lol I remember your 135i thread. Bummer that you sold it, but hopefully this one causes less stress for you!

I think the E90 330i's are pretty hassle-free, unlike the 335i's. Amazing that they're so cheap now, they're still excellent cars. 

Yep that's the hope with this one! I'm sure the 135i would've been fine afterwards. I drove it for 5 or 7000km without issue but I just couldn't trust it.

1 hour ago, SteveArmy90 said:

They were cool people! the car went back to Auckland. Not sure if plates are a no-no but it's LPG616 :)

Will check with him next time we speak. He liked that it had the problems solved, 135/335 reliability is  very easy to poke at but its only the bad stories that get published not the ones that run trouble free. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Will check with him next time we speak. He liked that it had the problems solved, 135/335 reliability is  very easy to poke at but its only the bad stories that get published not the ones that run trouble free. 

There are an awful lot of expensive bad stories though....

That's performance BMW life for you.

Wait til your 130i/330i ABS/DSC pump fails.

To OP, enjoy the 330i.  A nice all rounder.

Edited by GorGasm

12 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Agreed

My 135i (albeit n55 motor) has been way more reliable than all of my old DC2 Integra type r's haha. 3.5 years ownership now and I've only had 1 weeping o-ring on a sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1