Sign in to follow this  
scottharvey

130i power gains

Hey everyone so i sold the 635csi and jumped on this really cheap 130i in manual. It has an aftermarket rear muffler is there anything worth doing that will see me get some good gains in power.

Cheers

Post pics and details of the 130 please... you can get them flashed, mine's running a 280hp tune, glad I've got an LSD... mine came like that, I'm sure others will know of options available here.

• Like 1

@M3AN

Have you compared your setup to a standard 130i? Just wondering how much it changes the car. 

Sorry if this has been covered in another topic but I didn't realise you could squeeze more from the N52 ?

Hi, and yes insofar as I test drove a number of 130's before I picked mine up and I could feel the difference. Is it the ~20hp claimed? I'm not sure but it's certainly good enough for me.

The LSD and suspension I have makes most of the difference, I found the stock suspension to be almost dangerous on B roads so if you need to replace suspension do not go for stock. And even the standard power was easily able to overcome the traction of the rear wheels and the DSC would kick in all the time, often at inopportune and dangerous times, with the LSD the DSC now only ever comes on in the wet when I'm powering into a corner from a standstill (e.g. intersection).

• Like 2

Thanks for that. An lsd & aftermarket suspension setup is on the radar but won't be happening anytime soon! 

Not really any serious power gains to be had, nothing of serious consequence anyway.

• New map, few more hp (some claim 200kw doable, I think thats likely BS)
  • Decent headers, pickings are slim for RHD, brintech in aussie seem to have the best option but its not cheap, however dyno proven 13-15kw https://www.brintechcustoms.com.au/all-products/n52-custom-exhaust-headers
  • MILVs, modifying the intake lift of the valvetronic system, gives a solid bump throughout rev range but requires a custom dyno tune. There is also a custom exhaust camshaft out there, but its currently vapourware. https://www.bimmermilvs.com/

Thats about it, at least sanely. Lower spec N52s benefit from bolting the HO N52B30 bits too them, but the 130s come out of the box in the highest state of factory N52 tune.

There are some epic N52B30s out there in racecars, Kevin from Birds has/had a 380bhp N52B30 that runs S54 ITBs and custom cams with locked valvetronic... but ya talking $20-30k. There is also BPC who have played with multiple silly power turbo N52s, but they're hand grenades so are not available to purchase as kits.

As Dave says, best option with 130s is fixing the suspension and putting an LSD in... Ive done some very spirited B road blitzes and Ive never thought afterwards "I need more power :D ".. near 190kw in a little hatch is pretty solid out of the box. 

If your 130 is feeling slow, likely something needs some love. A service, new airfilter, new plugs, cleaning out any intake manifold slime and then resetting the DME adaptations with 98 in the tank is probably a good first step. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

How do you  go about resetting the DME? 

Edited by IainR

1 minute ago, IainR said:

Quad pipes! 

How do they sound? 

They actually sound bloody good ill put it on the hoist tommorow to see what they are i can see that its something you buy off shelf not a custom made one  

• Like 1

You should bring to to the BMW meet in Penrose @ the sushi cafe, today 11am-12pm for show n tell. 

25 minutes ago, Michael. said:

You should bring to to the BMW meet in Penrose @ the sushi cafe, today 11am-12pm for show n tell. 

Im not in akl at the moment so i wont be back in time to make it

3 hours ago, IainR said:

How do you  go about resetting the DME? 

ISTA+ function is probably the easiest way, can probably do it with INPA too but havent looked. 

Whats with the Z4 badging? weird.

3 hours ago, scottharvey said:

They actually sound bloody good ill put it on the hoist tommorow to see what they are i can see that its something you buy off shelf not a custom made one  

Please do, it looks epic with the quad pipes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

Whats with the Z4 badging? weird.

yeah been meaning to pull it off but dont really want to debadge so need to order original badge

Today I experienced the proper way to add power to an E87. Get the team @HELLBM to squeeze a little S65 in there then make all of the corresponding (and necessary) transmission, drive train, suspension and brake upgrades. Who doesn't need 400+ hp in a 1er?

Thanks for the opportunity to take it for a quick spin Ray, that thing is just epic.

40 minutes ago, scottharvey said:

yeah been meaning to pull it off but dont really want to debadge so need to order original badge

With those exhaust tips I would debadge it. For sure.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Today I experienced the proper way to add power to an E87. Get the team @HELLBM to squeeze a little S65 in there then make all of the corresponding (and necessary) transmission, drive train, suspension and brake upgrades. Who doesn't need 400+ hp in a 1er?

Thanks for the opportunity to take it for a quick spin Ray, that thing is just epic.

With those exhaust tips I would debadge it. For sure.

Its worth shifting up just to enjoy the downshifts in it :D ... I need to win lotto. 

• Like 1

Heres some pics of the exhaust its an Arqray tail section stainless steel 

Have also taken that badge off

Its booked in for a tune on thursday so excited to see the outcome should see some good gains

exhaust.jpg

Mid section.jpg

Tailpipe.jpg

Edited by scottharvey
  • Like 2

You need to start a project or showroom thread Scott to contain all of this goodness. That exhaust looks sweeeet, wonder if somebody can do that for mine?

You also have a centre chassis brace (the black plate that your exhaust runs over in the second pic) that is not standard for the E87, bonus. Is the suspension stock?

Who's doing the tune for you?

Edit: why is the diff black? 

Edited by M3AN

That brace is standard, looks like the diff seals need doing? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jacko said:

iThat brace is standard, looks like the diff seals need doing? 

i would say so, its a bit oily

6 minutes ago, scottharvey said:

i would say so, its a bit oily

Would be worth cleaning it up and seeing where its coming from, the output shaft seals are easy and cheap, the inputs significantly more work and requires the right tools to do properly.  

Edit -... or its a really good excuse to send it to Kayne for an LSD install ;)

Edited by Jacko

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

That brace is standard? 

Most of the 3 and 5 doors I've seen come without, do you have a part number handy? I've seen the BMWP part with the two V arms but not this part individually.