Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E87 130i Gearbox Shudder Low RPM - Resolved

3 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

That's the symptom for a faulty lockup clutch in the torque converter. Usually occurs at around 2,000rpm with light throttle load

Yup that's it. Well everything else needed doing anyway so no loss. But more work ahead with servicing the box. 

Good to know. Thanks for taking one for the team, shitty that you had to go through that.

Hah, sorry I didn't do the trans fluid :)  Glad you found the issue though!

8 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Hah, sorry I didn't do the trans fluid :)  Glad you found the issue though!

No worries. It's only due about now. But I took it to the track and it's done some work over the hill often. And sprints at Ohakea. I just need to make sure I have the right box so I order the right parts. But Mdecoder is not working at the moment. 

Servicing the transmission won't help or fix it if it is the lock up clutch in the torque converter. The linings in the clutch will be knackered and the torque converter will need a rebuild.

Ive had success with the shudder fix along with new filter and fluid as soon as the issue appeared. It never completely fixed the the problem but improved it significantly enough that it was only noticeable on hills in conditions Glenn stated. Did at least 20,000km without it getting any worst but it surely would have to be rebuild at some point if i didn't scrap it.

I'm not keen on pulling the box out on a cheap car like this.  Not worth what little time I have at the moment.  And there isn't anyone down here I would pay to have it done sadly.  Will try the service and Dr Tranny and see how it goes.

Update. 

Changed the box fluid and filter today. Pretty easy job. Purchased a kit from FCP Euro.

It's been done before. The filter wasn't BMW. And only about 4.5ltrs drained out. Over 6.5 went back in. I have a feeling someone filled it wrong. Possibly while the engine was off. 

Pan magnet had very minimal particles but there was still some present.

Took the car on a good run. Not a single shudder.

Was filled with what was supplied in the kit. Liquimoly TopTech 1800 ATF. And an extra additive Lubegaurd Anti Shudder which people swear by for these GM boxes. 

Taking it over the Remutaka Hill on Friday. Then on a longer road trip. Will be a good test. 

Car is running perfect now. 

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 2

Low fluid wouldn't be helping anything. I wonder how long it was since that last change?

I thought they were ZF boxes on these?

Good to hear it sounds like it wasnt terminal though!

Edited by KwS

10 hours ago, KwS said:

Low fluid wouldn't be helping anything. I wonder how long it was since that last change?

I thought they were ZF boxes on these?

Good to hear it sounds like it wasnt terminal though!

No they are GM boxes.  Made in France.  They exist in quite a few brands and models nearly all E9X and E8X models.  And they cause the same problem through them all.  Other than this issue it is a great box.
I can't find it now, but I read a post where GM had been replacing the Torque Converters under warranty for GM vehicles.  Not a word from BMW.

But 4.5 odd liters was not good.  Especially because the car has seen the track, 1 mile sprints and many trips over the crappy Remutaka hill.  It was time to do it anyway.  The car is now at 105000kms.  Everything has been serviced bar the brakes.  Which are next on the list (have to find my brake flush tool)

@GorGasm did you ever have the fluid changed?

Hey not that I remember.  It went to BMW for a service once and Burgers Motor Works another time.  But I don't think trans fluid was in any of those services.

We purchased it at 25km, it's possible that the dealer (Buy Right Cars) did it on arrival I guess.

3 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Hey not that I remember.  It went to BMW for a service once and Burgers Motor Works another time.  But I don't think trans fluid was in any of those services.

We purchased it at 25km, it's possible that the dealer (Buy Right Cars) did it on arrival I guess.

It would not surprise me if they did.  It is the sort of thing a car dealer would do.

Changed the title to reflect the actual problem.

Confirmed the Service and Lubegaurd has sorted the issue 100% for now.  Lets see how long it lasts.  So far 1000kms of testing.

• Like 1