Sign in to follow this  
F10er

Freighting a set of wheels

Hey guys 

Trying to get some wheels freighted to me through Mainfreight but their terms are "at owners risk" if they damage or lose them, they won't compensate at all. Not worried about damage so much, the losing side of things is concerning. Anybody know of any other freight companies to use??

is it wheels only and not with tyres? if so, try to get them boxed up individually and send using trademe's book a courier using courierpost or fastway. it might even work out cheaper.

8 minutes ago, qube said:

is it wheels only and not with tyres? if so, try to get them boxed up individually and send using trademe's book a courier using courierpost or fastway. it might even work out cheaper.

I wrap them without tyres in plastic or bubblewrap, and as qube says use TM courierpost or fastway. They will collect from your home or business address too. From memory about $28 a wheel nation wide.

Packaging:  Wheel Boxes are usually available from your local Mag and Tyre Warehouse, if you ask nicely.  They sell so many wheels, and have the hassle and expense of disposing of the boxes.

Freighting:  I think Mainfreight are really telling you "we don't like freighting wheels.  But if you really want to, we'll do it at your risk.  (man he must be desperate to use us under those terms!)"  I guess even if you strap them to a pallet, they'd need to go top-stow?  Find a more amenable courier company.  

Remember, if they get dropped they could be pooched, so pack in wheel boxes.

... or put a shout-out on the 'WTB' section, seeking help on the Bimmersport Good Bastard Freight Network.  Which part of the SI are you in @F10er, and where are your wheels coming from?

I've shipped wheels many a time over the years with Mainfreight and never had them damaged or go missing and I've never had them packaged. I did tape some cardboard to the face of some RSs once to protect them.