Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Shed Suggestions

Looking at building at shed in the Wellington region, approximately 300m2. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to use or avoid? 
Doesn’t need to be fancy, something kitset will be fine (though ideally they’ll have to o build it)

• Like 2

Thats a HUGE shed!

A lot depends on the style you'd like, and if you want a clear floor or if supporting posts are acceptable. 

Budget plays a part, too. 

Custom Kit sheds are beautiful and stylish, but often $many. 

Your TotalSpan, WideSpan, etc supplier's are pretty competitive but industrial in appearance. 

For a 300m clear floor look at farm sheds. 

And... Will you want the floor put down as a part of the deal? 

300m2 is three times the size of my house!

Sounds about the right size ratio for a shed! ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Had a new 8x8 Versatile installed at our old place, concluded they spent all their money paying Ritchie to appear in their ads and not on making a decent product.

define decent....its a shed.One look at a double garage built by these outfits compared to how a builder would do it will reveal what you are gonna get as the size inceases.They maximise every span and use the absolute minimum of materials..They have special designs.I cannot replicate their designs in my truss program.The trusses "fail"

• Like 1

For something that big, you could look into buying an existing shed or warehouse that needs removal, have it deconstructed, have the steel reloacted to your site, engineering, pour slab, re-errect.  A friend of mine bought sheds from the airport years ago, cost him a pittance, he and a mate with a hiab truck made short work of it.

• Like 1

look at $200-$250 per square meter.

Plus..............

floor, power, water, etc.

I'm going with Totalspan. 12x7.5x3. They were the most competitive in the area. Don't forget you may need wind zone strengthening.

But your talking factory rather than shed. That's huge. 

Geez, Elijah, dont you already have a big shed for your toys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I looked at options for 100m2 shed and went with a builder in the end. JB construction in Upper Hutt. Really good guy to deal with and honest, I also have a Versatile shed, would not use them again.

• Thanks 1

I had a 6 x 7.2 garage build on the gable end of our house, with a 1.2 eave that extended and matched up perfectly with the roofline of the house.

It was the closest we could get without having to actually extend the house (which looked to be about twice the cost!)

Versatile quoted a horrendous amount of money for a half-arsed suggestion and were still not even including the options I wanted.

SKYLINE here in Whangarei were AMAZING, came in cheaper, even with the mesh in the concrete, perfectly aligned roof and it integrated into the house, exactly like it was supposed to have always been there. I'd 100% use them again.

I don't know if the other Skyline franchisees are they same, but these Whangarei guys are  superb!

TTOMH4B.jpg

G8Yfixc.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the suggestions team, have contracted total span and will check out Skyline. Will also see if I know any good builders. 

And yes 300m2 is a little excessive, but no point doing it otherwise. $200-$250 per square meter is in line with what I thought.

@Olaf my uncle has gone down the second hand shed route before. The shed cost him $1000 but by the time he was done getting it back up to code and earthquake regs it had cost him more than buying new for an inferior product.

300m2 is actually large enough to consider a steel frame. Lift it in, bolt it up and clad it. Not so much "shed" as "building".

I wonder what the cost is of pre formed concrete slab side buildings at that scale? 300m2 is more like a factory than a shed

Steel framing was the desired route, wood framing isn't really suitable in this scenario. Hadn't thought of prefab slabs though, will see if anyone does them down this way

I doubt you will get pre cast/ tilt slabs for cheaper than steel framing / cladding, and if it is single storey there is no real need for them, I used total span for my 30M garage and they were perfect for that, not sure what their maximum unsupported span is though. A 300 Sqm floor will probably be the most expensive part!

• Thanks 1