Sign in to follow this  
modz

Purple tag steering racks $250 each

I've got a few of these for sale.   Degreased, checked and ready to go.

$250 each

Pick up Howick Auckland or $20 shipped to non-RD's anywhere in NZ.

pm if interested 

EF334B4B-7CA2-4D78-90B4-A33B5A40F108.jpeg

Edited by modz
Pics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Post needs to have photos as per forum rules please.

• Thanks 1

Everyone with a sporty e36 should get one, M3, 328, whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep they’ve been installed in all my e46’s and e30’s, make a big difference esp on turn in and on the track

8 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

I seem to remember you doing this and you have had an M3 and 328 - I am looking at one for my 328 as part of the 'refresh' I've started - can you give a quick summary of the purple over a stock 328 rack 

e.g: center ratio, lock to lock general feel   and are all puple racks the same? 

Yes, all the purple tags are the same. I don't have the ratios to hand but there are a couple of extensive threads out there that make technical comparisons.

Essentially the purple tag is closer ratio, less turns lock-to-lock, feels weightier, and has less of a dead centre. It feels more direct whereas the stock one (IMHO) feels very vague and light. The consequence is that it is more lively so requires more micro inputs, some don't like that, I do, it tells me what the road is doing.

I noticed an enormous difference when I swapped one into the M3, others have said they didn't have such a significant experience, so there's some subjectivity baked in. I went even further and swapped the purple tag out of the M3 for a non-M Z3 one, even tighter, feels like a go kart.   

Edited by M3AN

I thought it was 3.5 turns lock to lock --> 3 turns from standard to purple tag rack?

Stock is 3.2 but I've just realised that link doesn't have the purple tag (e46, also yellow tag in LHD only) info, that's around somewhere too.

purple tag = 3.2 as Dave says.

I know the rack well after 8 years with our e46 Touring.  I'd like to drive an e30 to see how it changes/improves it.  I think I'm a likely candidate for the swap in my e30, when it comes to repower and certing.

Edited by Olaf

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

purple tag = 3.2 as Dave says.

I know the rack well after 8 years with our e46 Touring.  I'd like to drive an e30 to see how it changes/improves it.  I think I'm a likely candidate for the swap in my e30, when it comes to repower and certing.

Ah... I'll just remind you that you have.... Briefly ?

• Like 2

bloody hell of course I have!  and it was *so* *much* *better*!!! ?

I mean errr they're fairly good.  (before the market explodes) ?

These stock in M Sport E46? I have one in mine and feels great, especially with the poly steering coupler 

Bump

On 6/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, Sammo said:

These stock in M Sport E46? I have one in mine and feels great, especially with the poly steering coupler 

@Sammo these are stock in 330i / 330ci and a handful of other variants.  

• Like 1

Put one in about a year ago and it's great. Having owned the car for 18 years my automatic "turn memory" needed to be adjusted. It took a long time to adjust and I had to look carefully when going round corners so I didn't go up the curb. If I was watching traffic and start turning when begining move I'd sometime get much closer to the curb than I liked - just something to be weary of until you get used to it.

• Like 1

And parking. I still f**k up backing up the drive sometimes and its been 6 odd months since I did mine 

?

What happens when you guys drive a car you're not familiar with?

In all honesty it took me an hour or so to get used to the purple tag and about 4 corners for the Z3 rack. I've never even considered an extended adaptation time, in fact this might be the first time I've heard it mentioned.

• Like 3

I'm likely not driving on auto-pilot when in a foreign car. Also, the average car doesn't launch as quickly so more time to correct. I drive the same car (mine) most of the time and seldom drive other cars. The issue with over-turning only happens occasionally when I'm distracted and subconsciously revert to many years of "turn memory".

Well, it actually took less than 5 minutes to get used to it before becoming 'normal'?

However, even after a year I occasionally turn too quickly when my mind is on something else - when 18 year old turn memory kicks in by accident (you know, like shaking a bad habit).

Maybe I need to be more clear in my posts somehow..............

The issue is only with my car and possibly only because I've had it for so long. I've never had issues with other cars. I used to travel a lot for work to many different countries (out of NZ for > 6months of the year for 7 years). I was hiring >30 rental cars in a year (US, China, South Korea, Europe, NZ, Aus). It's interesting how driving a huge range of different cars has never caused a problem in either LHD or RHD yet I have the issue with my own car.

I actually turned too much again yesterday and into my own street, a corner I've turned hundreds of times in the past. However, I clearly recall thinking about an exhaust mod I wanted to make so was distracted and not concentrating on the turn at all.

Maybe I need a new/different car...

I really like the purple rack though, it's been an excellent upgrade and highly recommend it.

Bump. I have 3 in stock all ready to go.

Can also supply

• Billet aluminium rack spacers ($25) to fit E30
  • Barina steering joint $160 (you supply E30 joint)

what is involved swapping one of these into a a 1999 E36 318ti?

34 minutes ago, pauly said:

Bolt straight in using e46 inner and e36 outer tie rod

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pauly said:

@pauly I answered your question on trademe also; if you want one just come through a PM on here, happy to help out / advice if needed.