Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Steering wheel cover

As our cars get older, so the finish on the steering wheel starts to wear. Not too bad at first, but it soon gets tot he point you want to wear gloves, or you end up with filthy hands as the surface is transferred to your skin.

Has anyone tried something like this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2670462738 ?

I did one a long time ago on a Land Rover, and I'll take the descriptions claim of '1 hour' with a pinch of salt!

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

surely you'd clean and condition the leather, rather than wear gloves because it's filthy?!  Or is it that the surface is falling apart?

You can buy re-cover kits, and if you've not the patience (I haven't) you can get an upholsterer to do the honours.

Some people have oils that are more acidic than others; I guess these folks rot out steering wheels and camera rubbers faster than most.

44 minutes ago, Olaf said:

surely you'd clean and condition the leather, rather than wear gloves because it's filthy?!  Or is it that the surface is falling apart? 

Falling apart. Worn, split, crumbling. The finished surface has gone and the sublayer just comes away when touched. 

Steering wheels are one of very few areas where covering it up can work! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gjm said:

As our cars get older, so the finish on the steering wheel starts to wear. Not too bad at first, but it soon gets tot he point you want to wear gloves, or you end up with filthy hands as the surface is transferred to your skin.

Has anyone tried something like this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2670462738 ?

I did one a long time ago on a Land Rover, and I'll take the descriptions claim of '1 hour' with a pinch of salt!

You want one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-for-BMW-E36-E36-5-E46-5-5-Series-E39-M3-M5/122341194184?epid=28029194137&hash=item1c7c1a79c8:g:iLQAAOSwNcZcqrrK

Amazingly good fit - I've done two now. Pop the wheel off and take your time stitching and it takes about 2 hours.

They come in leather / synthetic leather / alcantara / custom stripes / perforated / smooth etc.

My wheel looks and feels amazing with the new airbag and this...

IMG_20200417_155248.jpg.8b3da1ffc4d64e3913f3779121ac84f1.jpg

IMG_20200417_155201.jpg.64b5d02ecd80cf8f661d7b622667fe72.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sammo said:

You want one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-for-BMW-E36-E36-5-E46-5-5-Series-E39-M3-M5/122341194184?epid=28029194137&hash=item1c7c1a79c8:g:iLQAAOSwNcZcqrrK

Amazingly good fit - I've done two now. Pop the wheel off and take your time stitching and it takes about 2 hours.

They come in leather / synthetic leather / alcantara / custom stripes / perforated / smooth etc.

My wheel looks and feels amazing with the new airbag and this...

That does look good. 
I'll check out their site. I wonder if they do anything for gearknobs, too...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjm said:

That does look good. 
I'll check out their site. I wonder if they do anything for gearknobs, too...?

You can get M stitching etc as well but if you go black you can get the stitching a bit off and no-one would notice.

Gear knob would be cheap enough to just replace outright?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

You can get M stitching etc as well but if you go black you can get the stitching a bit off and no-one would notice.

Gear knob would be cheap enough to just replace outright?

Black is fine. :)

May see if I can find a decent s/h gearknob.

• Like 1