Sign in to follow this  
SHRNTA

E53 X5 4.6is

I am sure a few of the real experts will chime in but I remember cam-chain tensioners and Vanos units can be troublesome at higher KM's and it may have leaking valve covers which seems to be a BMW thing.

The 2nd one would be the pick of my choice mainly as the timing chain as been done

• Like 1

Totally agree. Timing chains tend to fail around 200k and are a very expensive fix.

56 minutes ago, zero said:

Totally agree. Timing chains tend to fail around 200k and are a very expensive fix.

How much are we looking for replacement? Do you know?

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

The 2nd one would be the pick of my choice mainly as the timing chain as been done

The 2nd one is probably more mechanically fit (but who knows with these cars, anything can happen), however the 1st option is more spec'd i.e aluminium running boards, rear blinds and a lot more judging by the VIN check on mdecoder.

Edited by SHRNTA

2 hours ago, SHRNTA said:

The 2nd one is probably more mechanically fit (but who knows with these cars, anything can happen), however the 1st option is more spec'd i.e aluminium running boards, rear blinds and a lot more judging by the VIN check on mdecoder.

Depends what you place more importance on, or just wait until the perfect car comes along

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SHRNTA said:

How much are we looking for replacement? Do you know?

Its in the thousands. probably $2k-$3k.

If it fails when you are driving you have a very high chance of completely destroying the engine.

You need to add the cost of the camchain repair job onto any m62 you buy at these kms if it hasn't been done already.

Another thing too with the higher mileage examples, they apparently eat suspension components. A Kiwi buddy of mine who also lives in the USA purchased a 4.6is to use in Aspen Colorado where he lives. His also has clocked inter-galactic mileage (170,000 miles). He replaced the timing chain, has spent a vast fortune replacing the control arms, tie rods, bushes, not to mention shocks. Despite the costs to run his (which is an extreme daily driver), he loves it. He has owned a plethora of M-cars prior to the 4.6is - and he loves it! 

If you can spend a little more you’re in E70 territory with the 4.8 and 355HP. 

Might be something to consider. 

44 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

If you can spend a little more you’re in E70 territory with the 4.8 and 355HP. 

Might be something to consider. 

Thanks for the suggestion,

But more interested in the history behind the 4.6is and what it was supposed to be. It never ended up being the first m sport x5, but the rarity of the car makes it appealing.

If you're buying for the heritage, I'd wait for an Estoril Blue one to come up for sale. I nearly pulled the trigger on an EB one with the E46/E39 M cloth which looked gorgeous but suffered from Singapore syndrome.

• Like 1