Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Too big for my e36

A few days back I drove a manual E36 Sedan and to be fair I struggled a wee bit because I am 196cm tall. While I could change gears its was not a natural process and I felt very cramped. As I am planning to manually convert my E36 Coupe I was wondering if the seat, wheel pedal relationship is much different between coupe's and sedans? 

I don’t know the answer but I’m sticking my hand up if you decide to sell!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

A few days back I drove a manual E36 Sedan and to be fair I struggled a wee bit because I am 196cm tall. While I could change gears its was not a natural process and I felt very cramped. As I am planning to manually convert my E36 Coupe I was wondering if the seat, wheel pedal relationship is much different between coupe's and sedans? 

I am a similar height and had no problem with my coupe, the longer doors are a bonus too! 

• Like 1

Seats are lower in a coupe so you'll have more room 

• Like 1

I had this problem in my manual E30 so simply got some heavy plate steel and made myself some brackets to reposition the seat rails 60mm further back. Probably not very legal but it worked

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, b33mer said:

I had this problem in my manual E30 so simply got some heavy plate steel and made myself some brackets to reposition the seat rails 60mm further back. Probably not very legal but it worked

I did this in the old days when I had a Galant that didn't fit me! Bit of a grey area legally, but never got picked up at WOF time and I took them out when I sold it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aja540i said:

I did this in the old days when I had a Galant that didn't fit me! Bit of a grey area legally, but never got picked up at WOF time and I took them out when I sold it.

Could always employ an engineer and get it certified to cross all the 't's and dot the 'i's $$$$$. I've never forgiven BMW for producing the z3 and z4 for hobbits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b33mer said:

Every Mini I had was fitted with the obligatory seat bracket extenders and the drop bracket for the steering column (Les Leston, I think). It wasn't safe for me to drive otherwise....

• Like 1