Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

$7k budget for a daily. What are you buying?

I'm on the hunt for a commuter (250km a week, open road). My budget is $7,000. $8,000 at an absolute push. I have a few points that I'd like it to meet, please let me know your thoughts and options. 

- I'd like it to be Euro, if not BMW

- <160,000kms

- Economical (better than 11L/100km)

- 4 doors (car seat occasionally)

- Modern ish (newer than 2000)

- Reliable (subjective I guess)

We've been looking at E87s and MK5 Golf's. Even got curious at a diesel Peugeot hatch. Very interested in everyone's thoughts! 

Mini, probably won't get a cooper S for that money ( at least not a decent one) but worth a look.

The answer to life, the universe, and everything - 42, and 130i

29 minutes ago, Jacko said:

The answer to life, the universe, and everything - 42, and 130i

Oh man, my dream would be to find what @M3AN found ?

26 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Accord, Mazda 6, Toyota whatever.  Get a euro if you like expenses.  Japper is going to cost you nothing.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/honda/auction-2586273036.htm?rsqid=682498422e8f47309a0a8526e102ea67-007

I have 3 euros at the moment and I don't regret it. More car for your buck IMO. Or maybe it's my subconscious-spanner-swinging side of me that wants another car to work on ?

You'd probably change your mind if you start working on yoru average VW (or worse Peugeot's) 

Only BMW's to me that meet your criteria would be E39, E46 or E87, E90 6 cylinders

I used to do 500km per week open road in my E39 and i don't anything could of beaten it for the 2.5k i paid for it, well balanced ride and have ample room which you appreciate in those situations           

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Oh man, my dream would be to find what @M3AN found ?

Keep in mind mine's an auto with shitty paint! ?

E87s are great and I'm glad I got one over an equivalent E90. That's all I have to say. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

I used to do 500km per week open road in my E39 and i don't anything could of beaten it for the 2.5k i paid for it, well balanced ride and have ample room which you appreciate in those situations           

An M54 touring would definitely be on the cards if I could find one. 

50 minutes ago, Driftit said:

E87s are great and I'm glad I got one over an equivalent E90. That's all I have to say. 

When we bought our E91, it was a toss up between that and an E87. The E87 had a surprising amount of room. The E87 is probably the #1 contender at the moment. 

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

Mini, probably won't get a cooper S for that money ( at least not a decent one) but worth a look.

you can definitely find an S for this money.

15 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

When we bought our E91, it was a toss up between that and an E87. The E87 had a surprising amount of room. The E87 is probably the #1 contender at the moment. 

Not ALL E87's are good, only the diesels and the 130i... and good luck trying to find a good 130 for 7k. seems to be getting harder and harder these days.

Good luck with 130i being economical. And if you are paying $7k for one, expect to spend $1-2k on preventive maintenance. 

• Like 1

I do 1000-1200km/week. 
I have a Citroen C5 HDi. 
Gets 5.5l/100km on a good day and 6l on a bad one. 
Cheap to run, about $65-70 per 1000km @ $1.15/litre. 
Peugeot 406 HDi similar car without Citroens hydro suspension, which gives the best ride quality I’ve experienced. 

I went through the same dilemma as you. Considered spending big $$$ (Run out 1 series at the start of the year for around $42k). I was about to buy a low km V6 VF Holden Calais Wagon for $24k but job uncertainty made me hold onto my money.  These are decent on fuel - will return 7-7.5 driven sensibly. I decided to run this Citroen into the ground. If it goes for another year or two, bonus. 

In your price range I also considered, 
E39 530i

E46 330i

E36 318i manual. 

Mercedes W210 E320. 
BF Ford Fairmont Ghia or XR6 with the ZF6 speed. 
FG2 XT Falcon. 
The Mondeo range is good value for money. But if serious do some research on  the powershift gear boxes. 

ohh, the Citroen’s speedo doesn’t work for some reason. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

I would probably buy a Mazda 6.

This would be the sensible choice @Olaf, but here I am ?

3 minutes ago, m325i said:

From memory (posts on this page if I recall correctly) people are very wary of the e60 generation 5 series? 

E87 ticks 90% of the boxes. Will line up a viewing. 

Edited by Cammsport

123D NZ new is a rare beast, would be worth looking at. 

Odd options, not many Msports are not leather interior. 

19 minutes ago, Jacko said:

123D NZ new is a rare beast, would be worth looking at. 

Odd options, not many Msports are not leather interior. 

I'm struggling to see how that car could have fewer options!

There was a facelift NZ new 123d with all the fruit that sold under lockdown for $7K - it was recently back up for sale for $15K

16 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I'm struggling to see how that car could have fewer options!

There was a facelift NZ new 123d with all the fruit that sold under lockdown for $7K - it was recently back up for sale for $15K

I'm assuming this one is cheaper due to the combination of mileage, no service history and the N47 timing chain and wastegate issues? Could be a risk I'm willing to take. Timing chain replacement looks to be an engine out jobby. 

Owner/dealer looks to be short on details in the question but probably just busy. 

Edited by Cammsport

11 hours ago, Olaf said:

I would probably buy a Mazda 6.

A number of Mazda's have VVT, timing chain stretch problems. Had a few come into work not running right due to this. Ford and Mazda have some of the worse engineering design in my books. 

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

From memory (posts on this page if I recall correctly) people are very wary of the e60 generation 5 series? 

Given its just for a daily you'd be adding many potential reliability issues. I think buying a cheaper older model in reasonable nick and throwing some money at it would carry less risk from a reliability standpoint.        

• Like 1