Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

$7k budget for a daily. What are you buying?

That 123d isn't worth $6,600, poverty spec and no Xenons... you'd feel poor driving around in it.

• Like 1

123Ds are rocking horse teeth, and then an NZ new one? Hard to put a value on it, even in poverty pack 6.6k seems cheap to me. They have a good rep of going forever, and with a map are 130 levels of go fast.

Edit - actually not as rare as I thought, 57 E87 123s NZ new, like 138 123Ds of hatch/coupes in total in NZ.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jacko said:

123Ds are rocking horse teeth, and then an NZ new one? Hard to put a value on it, even in poverty pack 6.6k seems cheap to me. They have a good rep of going forever, and with a map are 130 levels of go fast.

Edit - actually not as rare as I thought, 57 E87 123s NZ new, like 138 123Ds of hatch/coupes in total in NZ.

More and more research into the N47 has put me off. I guess any motor has its issues if you dig deep enough but the timing chain seems to be a catastrophic one if it hasn't been serviced every 10,000kms and/or hasn't had the updated repair kit. Both of which is a mystery in this one. 

I just went tardme-ing, its weird, its like 130 prices have jumped back up to where they should be after it went stupid a few months ago and people couldnt give them away.

FWIW, my manual 130 (pre lci so no fancy black top efficiency bollocks) sits at around 6.7l/100km at ~100 on open road, average is currently at 9.5l/100km. Pretty respectable for the level of go on tap. Uses less than my old 1.6 corolla. 

Edited by Jacko

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

I just went tardme-ing, its weird, its like 130 prices have jumped back up to where they should be after it went stupid a few months ago and people couldnt give them away.

I've been keen a pretty regular eye on prices since I got mine and I agree. There was at least one, occasionally more, 130i bargains December through March, almost none in the last few months. I wonder if (m)any lurkers/dealers picked up on the chatter here.  

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Also been keeping an eye on the prices. Its definitely jumped back up or the cheap ones have gone quick. 
its more so because good/reasonable e46 330ci etc r disappearing from the market. 
130 is the next easy choice.

Theres a couple of reasonable looking blue ones on faceballs for around 8k at the moment, might be able to twist an arm.

6 hours ago, Cammsport said:

More and more research into the N47 has put me off. I guess any motor has its issues if you dig deep enough but the timing chain seems to be a catastrophic one if it hasn't been serviced every 10,000kms and/or hasn't had the updated repair kit. Both of which is a mystery in this one. 

I don't think it is just the N47s. 

Also in my consideration were some (what appear to be) good value F10 5 series and F30 3 series at around $20k. The F10s can be had for as low as $15k.

Happy to be corrected but it appears any reasonably economical BMW engine post M57/M47 and N52 all have timing chain dramas. 

Another one I forgot to mention is the last of the W203 C Class around 2005-2006 with the 3.0 V6 diesel OM642 - 160kw and 500nm torque in a small sedan. Facelifted model at the end of its run so they are a decent thing to sit inside and look at (subjective). 

Edited by coop

6 hours ago, Cammsport said:

N47 issues are oversold IMO. dad’s 2010 320d is now on 225k km without issues, serviced every 25k km

and a 123 d will be quite satisfying to drive,my chipped 120 d was lots of fun.A bmw salesman friend even said "they go like a rocket" If i wasnt 190 cm tall i would get a 123d hatch

6.5 around town and esy 5.5 l 10 k 0n the open road

People in the UK are squeezing 300 hp out of the 123 turbos, crazy.

Still poverty spec, if you really like cars you'd hate yourself.

they are a FUN little car though....i reckon a 123 d would give a 130 a run for its money in open road situations and stil get nearly 1000k out of a tank

I was lucky with my e87 when I bought it haven’t had any issues with it yet it is thirsty though I probably get if I’m lucky 500kms to a tank with varied driving. I can’t complain too much as I got a bargain 

Edited by scottharvey

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Mk5 GTIs? 

34 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

If they're anything like the mk6 gti's, brilliant car. Got one for the wife about 5 years ago and it's been smooth sailing.  Loads of fun, reliable and excellent on fuel. All I've done is regular services, dsg fluid and filter and plugs and coils. 

Edited by Navin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

You do realise that they only work for 2.5 days each week right? Which 2.5 days is a little more difficult to predict.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

E90 330i are cheap as these days. Fuel consumption may be pushing it though.

MK5 GTI could be had for that money and will be fun, economical and pretty reliable if the DSG has had its oil changes.

Yeah, I'd be looking at a MK5 GTI or an E91 6cyl.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

They are worse than you can possibly imagine. Cool though. 

6 hours ago, Sammo said:

E90 330i are cheap as these days.

Yeah and they are pretty nice. I would personally rather have a 330i e46 though, (+ drop a few grand into BT solution, and mechanical refresh)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cammsport said:

I had a MK6 GTI which isn't much more than facelift MK5 with nicer interior and loved it, most likely going to buy one again for the wife now I have my E46.

I cross shopped it with an E87 130i and it won out *ducks for cover* 

Great seats, sharp handling, love the DSG and grunty little engines with full torque from almost idle.

My MK6 was perfect in the 2 years I had it, although was a 40,000km car.

A little info on any foibles in this thread:

If u compare rhe mk6 vs 130i i reckon a gti edges it out. But in saying that if u can land a 130i for 6-8k its way more value for money than a mk6 for 12k. The equivalent mk5 for sub 10k is not better than. 130i imo. 

Interesting some of you like the Mk5.  I had one for two weeks in the US and we didn't like it.  I wont go into too much detail.  But I found it noisy, the steering, clutch and gearbox had no feeling.  It wasn't all that comfortable or as powerful as people made out.

It was a meh car for me.  Maybe that's what makes it a good commuter?  But then I would just get a Mazda.  Its Meh and will cost you far far less when (if) it goes wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe take a punt on this?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2685592122.htm

You'd need to 'fix' a few things (and go for the 18's) but projects can be fun.

Edit: front bumper has been replaced, you'd want to check for damage there, and radiator.

Edited by M3AN

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

Interesting some of you like the Mk5

did u mean to type Mk6? cuz Im not a fan of the Mk5 at all