Sign in to follow this  
leightonf

M42 swapping E30

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't think you need a cert for the engine swap but technically you do for the manual conversion 

Other way around it seems, cert isn’t required so long as it’s an unmodified factory gearbox crossmember and driveshaft. So borderline for using an E36 box with the spacer. 
Seems silly that it’s the extra valves/cam that tips it over the edge but that commodore example makes it pretty clear. 

Im sure it won’t be a problem until it is, then I’ll worry about it ?

2 minutes ago, wrs said:

If you need to get it cert'd you'll also need driveshaft hoop(s). The cert guy wouldn't even look at it until the hoops were in even though every part on the car was OE and there was no cutting, welding or modification.

Hoops only if increase in horsepower is over 50% threshold - unless that rule has changed again.    

Just now, leightonf said:

Other way around it seems, cert isn’t required so long as it’s an unmodified factory gearbox crossmember and driveshaft. So borderline for using an E36 box with the spacer. 
Seems silly that it’s the extra valves/cam that tips it over the edge but that commodore example makes it pretty clear. 

Im sure it won’t be a problem until it is, then I’ll worry about it ?

I think you'll find that the manual conversion will require cert, as you're changing the brake pedal in which case braking system change ===> cert.

1 minute ago, Olaf said:

I think you'll find that the manual conversion will require cert, as you're changing the brake pedal in which case braking system change ===> cert.

What if I keep the pedal and just change the pedal box..? LTNZVVTA is getting a bit out of control, luckily my WoF guy is a reasonable human being so a cert can just be filed in my 5-year plan or sooner if it becomes an issue

good luck with your insurance company in event of an accident.  

24 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Hoops only if increase in horsepower is over 50% threshold - unless that rule has changed again.    

Or if the driveshaft has been modified...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

In my case the cert guy said - it's not the original auto driveshaft and it doesn't matter if it's OE, it has to have hoops. It may depend on the certifier but maybe it's also a recent change in the rules. I just did what I had to to get the cert plate!

56 minutes ago, wrs said:

In my case the cert guy said - it's not the original auto driveshaft and it doesn't matter if it's OE, it has to have hoops. It may depend on the certifier but maybe it's also a recent change in the rules. I just did what I had to to get the cert plate!

I think that's your certifier being a touch strong. The auto to manual swap does require cert (pedal box) but all else being equal, the prop doesn't need hoops. 

Bizarrely you can dismantle and rebuild the entire brake system and no-one will bat an eyelid. 

I guess the answer is to decide who you want to do the cert and talk to them about the requirements before doing anything. I used a local workshop with a long history of preparing cars for passing first time. They had a good relationship with the guy doing the cert and between us we coordinated the requirements. The hoops didn't cost much to do and they're good piece of mind.

Depending on who does the cert and how they interpret the standards will depend what you need to do. In Hawkes Bay we're not spoiled for choice when it comes to getting certs...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wrs said:

In my case I'm fortunate, no change to driveshaft and already factory manual.  I agree - pick your certifier and do what's required for the cert plate.

8 hours ago, gjm said:

Bizarrely you can dismantle and rebuild the entire brake system and no-one will bat an eyelid. 

Ain't that the truth.  Perhaps they assume they're unable to protect us from maintenance stupidity, and the greatest threat is from modifications.

Edited by Olaf

I'm doing a M42 in one of my E30's and wont be planning on getting a cert unless I get picked up on it during a WoF which I doubt is highly likely. The car is a 316i and It even came fitted with a M40B18 so technically should have cert now anyway. VTNZ doesn't seem to care. Adding an extra cam in my eyes isn't going to raise any eyebrows from a WoF inspector or from the police/insurance company in the event of an accident. The reason id rather avoid it is the high chance the cert guy will make you fit hoops even if not needed when I will potentially be under the 50% increase in power threshold. Its just not worth the hassle to me when the car will be the same spec or better in terms of brake and suspension components that came in factory M42 cars. The cert cost is more than I'm planning to spend on a motor and a third of the cost of the car anyway.

I have heard that if you can prove with a letter from the vehicle manufacturer that the driveshaft being used is the same paired with the upgraded engine originally, you can get away without using hoops. This may be a very old thing so may not work anymore and good luck getting that kind of a letter from BMW AG.

@slideways Jeez Chris, how many e30's do you have?!  Like having a wardrobe full of suits, you'll need to pick which one to bring to e30 Mega Meet this year ?

Only have three now. Much more manageable amount. The Tech1 is the only one worthy of Megameet.

• Like 1