3pedals

Light weight flywheels

Alloy flywheel turned up from Europe this morning  two majors wins in this are:

1. It arrived quicker than the parts I ordered from RS components across town,
  2. It looks round !

Next task is to get it checked and balanced  and try and measure the rotational inertia before install 

IMG_20200629_105542[1].jpg

IMG_20200629_105724[1].jpg

• Like 1

I thought you were looking at a steel flywheel?

No, discounted steel ones due to previous  experiences with them, they generally  ring /buzz/vibrate and have mediocre heat transfer. 

What I was looking for is similar mechanical properties to the orginal flywheel in terms of torsional stiffness and tensile strength but some energy dampening properties to quell resonance. And a reasonable reduction in rotational inertia.

This one is a 2000 series alloy variant, not the usual 6061 so it is denser, stronger and has better mechanical and thermal properties than 6061 which is what the Fidanza is and is very quiet when you tap it with a metallic object - significantly quieter than an 6061. 

Edited by 3pedals
  • Like 1

What engine/car is this going on?

NZ new 328 Sedan, M52 engine with subtle improvements. 

• Like 1

Is it an aftermarket or OEM unit?  Where'd you get it from?  

Nice. 

e36 or e46?

And what are your goals?

36 sedan as above , plan is a really sweet runnning road car, its an aftermarket unit and its currently in being checked for balance once its back I'll comment more but so far everyone likes it 

• Like 1

Bob the balancing guru has done his magic- reckoned the flywheel was one of the best he has ever had and the pressure plate close behind - time to separate the engine from the gearbox for the first time since  the car  left the factory in 1995 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Bob the balancing guru has done his magic- reckoned the flywheel was one of the best he has ever had and the pressure plate close behind - time to separate the engine from the gearbox for the first time since  the car  left the factory in 1995 

Bob Mead? Great to hear he’s still working.

A fast-flying-through thought was to lighten my Ls one too..😏

Picked the flywheel up from Bob, now has one measly 10mm hole 2.5mm deep so about 0,588 of a gram removed 

Cover plate  also has one very small hole 

Edited by 3pedals

Does it have a TDC locking pin hole? My lightened flywheel doesn't - seems to be fairly common on light flywheels, no TDC hole. Every time I mess with cams I have to use a DTI in #1...