Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Need to weigh a standard e36 323i...!

Hey everyone,

It's been ages. I hope all is well. :-)

I'm one of 7-8 guys who race e36 323i coupes in 2kcup. We've been winning a few races, and are being faced with having weight added to slow us down (it's a long story).

We're trying to find a happy compromise with the organisers but there's disagreement about the factory weight of these cars. I understand the quoted weight of 1385kg includes a driver, luggage and 90% fuel - and that's the basis of our argument - but we want a real world measurement to rely on.

Does anyone in Auckland have a stock standard 323i manual coupe who'd be willing to come get it weighed (venue TBC, but probably at a workshop in East Tamaki) in exchange for some beers and a night of e36 chat? More than one would be even better! Or if you all turned up to the next sushi meeting (if they're still a thing!), we could bring the scales. :-)

Hit me up if you can help.

James :-)

Bring the scales to the coffee and cars at Kyu's on Sunday.

There should be a couple of e36's there

Thanks Nathan. I need 323s in particular, but I'll see if I can come for a visit anyway.

It's been ages... plus I have a new BMW to share. :-) 

Factory curb weight for 323i coupe looks to be 1380kg.

Definition of "curb" weight does not include, driver, passenger or luggage. But does include fluids in amongst which is half a tank of fuel.

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Factory curb weight for 323i coupe looks to be 1380kg.

Definition of "curb" weight does not include, driver, passenger or luggage. But does include fluids in amongst which is half a tank of fuel.

I've quoted (elsewhere) 1375 based on memory of BMW advertising blurb from <gulp> 25 years ago. ?

This is some of the documentation I have found, dug up from https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/. Seems to show that unladen weight does include a driver (68kg) and Luggage (7kg). If any one has similar info for a NZ new car that would be great. Even the new cars have the same weights applied https://www.bmw.co.nz/en/all-models/m-series/m3-sedan/2017/technical-data.html#tab-0

250140968_323ispecs.JPG.2d07c6c637108d997961ad547013f7cb.JPG

Thanks guys,

This is all about comparing the weight of a stock standard e36 323i against the other cars at the front of the 2kcup class - Honda Integras and Toyota Levins.

Alister's post shows the BMW factory kerb weight includes driver and luggage, but the listed kerb weights for Hondas and Toyotas don't. We're asking the organisers for parity, but they don't want to accept us subtracting 75kg from the listed weight.

So, I'm collecting real world data for 323s with no luggage or driver... and I expect them to be around 1290 - 1310kg (notwithstanding fuel load, which I'll make a note of during the weigh-ins).

Hope to see lots of 323s on Sunday! :-D

1 hour ago, alisterh said:

This is some of the documentation I have found, dug up from https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/. Seems to show that unladen weight does include a driver (68kg) and Luggage (7kg). If any one has similar info for a NZ new car that would be great. Even the new cars have the same weights applied https://www.bmw.co.nz/en/all-models/m-series/m3-sedan/2017/technical-data.html#tab-0

This is where it starts to get murky - as curb (or kerb depending on where you are in the world) weight and EU unladen weight are different calculations, with differences in what is included and what is not and hence different results.

You'll notice that if you take the payload from the max permissable weight in the figures for the M3 it does not equal the unladen weight. The difference is down to the inclusion of a driver (now at 75kg - we have got fatter since the nineties), etc.

Would be a lot simpler if a "Tare" weight were used as in heavy transport applications.

Here's what the BMW NZ Owners book for the E36 says

IMG_20200701_0001.jpg