Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

Eurosurgeon

I see a lot of praise for Eurosurgeon on here, but I have to say I am having a nightmare dealing with Joe.

I sent a CIC unit up to be coded in early May, I didn't hear anything from them so I phoned them a few times and left messages, no reply. In early June I got hold of Joe by phone and he said to email him so I did. No reply. I few days latter I got hold of him and I got told yes it's done, it just hadn't ben sent back, after waiting another 10 days it still didn't arrive, so several more phone calls and messages, still no reply, I finally get hold of Joe, the excuse was "I thought you would have had it by now' my reply was "No, what is the tracking number"?

They finally sent it back the following day and when I opened the parcel the face plate with the buttons was missing, I made several more phone calls again left messages with no reply, finally I got hold of Joe and asked about the faceplate, he said he would look into it. A week went by no reply so a few more phone calls and I again get hold of Joe, this time I get told it was found on the bench and he would send it to me.

Well that was two weeks ago and I'm still waiting on it, a few more phone calls with no answer and no returned message, I finally get hold of him and he hangs up on me then immediately txts me (from the same number) to say his phone is rebooting as it's playing up and he will return my call, well no surprise no returned call

From this experience it doesn't seem like this business is very good at customer service, have any others experienced service like this from Eurosurgeon?

Edited by Kiwi_BMW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, nothing like the nightmare you are having, but I enquired about upgrading the stereo in the M5 and adding a camera, took a couple of goes to actually get hold of them and the response I got made me decide not to use them at all. I had heard good things about their work but bad customer service is a massive red flag for me with any business.

• Like 2

Who would be the people to deal with, I have a E60 CIC that I need programmed (if I can get it all back) and a combox for the E60 as well.

The E60 is a 2004.

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

Wouldn't it be better to just replace the unit with an Android based unit?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Wouldn't it be better to just replace the unit with an Android based unit?

This. The I drive of that generation was pretty crap, and the maps are way behind Google maps or waze. 

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

Who would be the people to deal with, I have a E60 CIC that I need programmed (if I can get it all back) and a combox for the E60 as well.

The E60 is a 2004.

https://www.autogravity.co.nz/shop/Dynavin/bmw/dvne60.html  reprogramming would cost around 1k i believe? 

$400 USD at the moment.

https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-5-series-6-series-e60-e61-e63-e64.html

I have been meaning to do this in my 130i.  I hate the little CIC screen in it.  It's so dated.

Edited by Driftit

Yes I did think of the dynavin unit but the E60 isn't exactly touchscreen friendly The E39 is better for touchscreen than the E60

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

The one I was looking at for the e87 was touch screen but also still supported the iDrive controller. I think it did require an upgraded controller though. 

I would be surprised if there isn't something far better and cheaper Android based for the E60.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200706140619&SearchText=e60+android+bmw

Have a 7.5" touchscreen android in my E46 that looks factory and gives me touchscreen / steering wheel control / canbus integration and Android Auto etc. Came with a plug and play harness - literally a couple of screws and 2 plugs and done.

With an $80 dongle can have wireless carplay on it.

Edited by Sammo

I have been doing a bit of research into this and it does seem that the units are all pretty much the same. What would seem to matter is the Android version, earlier than 8 is sluggish and can be buggy, V9 and 10 seem to work well. 4g or Ram and 64g of Rom seems to be what you want. I am looking seriously at one of these units for a CCC E90 it seems to be the most practical way to go about getting a workable system into the car. Only downside is that Audio quality is good rather than great. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

My AVIN unit actually gets better as I get more used to it. The only less-than-perfect use case is if you listen to the radio a lot (as I do) because the AVIN unit can't control the (non-digital) radio. If we had DAB that problem wouldn't exist. 10" touch screen is utterly amazing, surprisingly so.

You 100% absolutely MUST get the 4GB unit, ideally Android 9 or above. I had a 2GB unit and it really sucked, Android kept closing background apps (like the Bluetooth stack, or the phone, or the music app) because it kept running out of memory so it was useless.

They're all clones but AVIN provides pretty good after-sales service and I certainly needed it.

• Like 1

I'm going through this dilemma in another thread. 

I've all but decided for My E82 with CCC that no other option other than an android unit makes sense (I want to run modern apps etc) but I also what a semi stock look to things.

Seems to be a toss up between the AVIN, Belsee and Xtron.....seem to hear pros and cons about both really :(

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, HalfJobHarry said:

I'm going through this dilemma in another thread. 

I've all but decided for My E82 with CCC that no other option other than an android unit makes sense (I want to run modern apps etc) but I also what a semi stock look to things.

Seems to be a toss up between the AVIN, Belsee and Xtron.....seem to hear pros and cons about both really :(

Let me know what you decide as I am ready to purchase a unit as well.

10 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Let me know what you decide as I am ready to purchase a unit as well.

Went with AVIN. Their pre-sales support and question answering tipped me over the edge. They are Chinese of course (like everything) but they do have support operators that I spoke to that appear to be based out of the USA and communicate nice and clearly. Also on purchase they emailed me extensive installation guides and access to their online support forum. 

• Thanks 1