Sign in to follow this  
leichtbau

Cheap E92 M3 Competition

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2694436066.htm

Well worth a look-see, these must be pretty close to the bottom of their depreciation curve, if the current upswing in previous generation M3 prices is any indication. Love the Mineral White!

• Like 2

Quite nice.  Considering that there is a same year Golf GTI on the same companies listings for only $12K less than this far far far superior BMW ;)

Edited by Driftit

Good value, does look well worn though with seat bolster wear, scabby wheel bolts n centre covers etc. Probably some other stuff underneath which all reflects the low price. Still love it!

Or that the 80,000 was mean't to be a 50,000.

3 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

I dunno, manual and had rod bearings done:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/2689453782

Yeah that is quite nice.  Who did the bearings though.  Looks like a home job from that photo lol.
I think after Sam heard @FIAT 131R's stunning E90 M3 the other week (He does have a very nice remus exhaust) she is quite keen on one.
Will get the house on the ground first.  Then look at selling the 200sx and getting something she can thrash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

I dunno, manual and had rod bearings done:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/2689453782

definitely nice in black, manual, the "best" e92 18" m3 wheels, but competition m3 is a little bit more special.. 2011 vs 2007. also those csl style wheels on the comp edition is very sought after too.

rod bearings done by PS Automotive in Pukekohe according to seller's comment in Q&A

I wonder if the crank journals were polished as part of that price? I know a lot of these rod bearing replacements are done from underneath with the engine still in the car and the sump off. If the bearings were that bad (in Q&A section it refers to them being in a fairly bad way when replaced) then that would suggest that the crank was probably starting to wear abnormally as well. I appreciate it is the rod bearing material that is supposed to be the sacrificial wear part, and that putting new ones in would give the bottom end a new lease of life, however, without the crank being touched the replacements wouldn't last particularly long I wouldn't have thought?

I suppose it would come down to cost v longevity and if you are likely to sell the car in the near(ish) future then then the lower cost option would probably make most sense.

All things being equal it would still be a better bet than a car at similar, or slightly less kms, that hadn't had the bearings replaced.

4 hours ago, qube said:

definitely nice in black, manual, the "best" e92 18" m3 wheels, but competition m3 is a little bit more special.. 2011 vs 2007. also those csl style wheels on the comp edition is very sought after too.

How can you tell the OP is a competition / that those wheels are OEM? You can get good reps for ~$1500.

Cindy is going to win, there will be more fuel taxes and gas guzzlers like this will continue to depreciate IMO. 

E46s dipped under $20k - I don't see any reason why these won't - there are way more of them + imports. 

1 hour ago, m325i said:

How can you tell the OP is a competition / that those wheels are OEM? You can get good reps for ~$1500.

Option code S7MA

• Like 1

Always a give-away that one...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, m325i said:

to be honest i didnt even check the vin, i just assumed it was a comp package based on the wheels and being 2011.

reading up about it now, seems like they are 10mm lower and has a slightly different sport mode but most people are saying that you only really need to get it if you like the wheels and otherwise its not a big difference. (i definitely appreciate the 19 csl style wheels but i prefer the 18s, cheaper tyres, better riding and think they look awesome)

im thinking next year might be my time to get into one of these..

I need to drive one - If my commute was shorter I would be more tempted. They can sound amazing! 

Multiple highly respected members here have put me off a bit though.(V8 though!)

Definitely cool - especially e90.

2 hours ago, m325i said:

I need to drive one - If my commute was shorter I would be more tempted.

would that mean 2x M3's? cuz i dont see u selling your E46 for it

13 hours ago, qube said:

would that mean 2x M3's? cuz i dont see u selling your E46 for it

Just fantasizing here! 

Yeah maybe 2 - why not!?!

On 7/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, Driftit said:

Yeah that is quite nice.  Who did the bearings though.  Looks like a home job from that photo lol.
I think after Sam heard @FIAT 131R's stunning E90 M3 the other week (He does have a very nice remus exhaust) she is quite keen on one.
Will get the house on the ground first.  Then look at selling the 200sx and getting something she can thrash.

Best go for a manual!  I do wonder if the M3 has a better balance of power than the E60 M5.  I found the M5 was just a bit too fast for NZ roads.

Edited by GorGasm

26 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Best go for a manual!  I do wonder if the M3 has a better balance of power than the E60 M5.  I found the M5 was just a bit too fast for NZ roads.

No Autobahn is the issue for the E60.  Though it was nice going over the ranges to Hahei in your one.  The sound was the greatest pleasure.