Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Manual gearbox for 6 pot / E34 M50 oil pan

Im thinking the lack of and outrageous expensive of the Getrag 420g has killed my V8 plans for the E28. 

So instead looking at the way more popular 6 cylinder options: M50, M52, M54, S50 etc. Anyone know of a gearbox for sale to suit? EDIT: And an engine? :P

Also if I do the M50/2/4 etc route I will need the E34 M50 oil pan, dip stick and pickup to fit in an E28.

Edited by Kodachrome
  • Like 1

How much was the outrageously expensive 420G

have s54 and 6spd and m50 sump etc 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FIAT 131R said:

How much was the outrageously expensive 420G

I couldnt find one (of the oddly several available for import or here etc) for less than something like $3k landed. $3k for gearbox to mate for a $1k engine (M62) didnt make sense to me.

The engine:gearbox price spend is just all wrong, I'd rather spend say $4k for the S50B30 on TM and like <$500 for a gearbox.

Edited by Kodachrome

11 minutes ago, Kodachrome said:

I couldnt find one (of the oddly several available for import etc) for less than something like $3k landed. $3k for gearbox to mate for a $1k engine (M62) didnt make sense to me.

The engine:gearbox price spend is just all wrong, I'd rather spend say $4k for the S50B30 on TM and like <$500 for a gearbox.

Not trying to rain down on your parade, but you'll probably struggle to get any manual BMW series box for $500 these days

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Not trying to rain down on your parade, but you'll probably struggle to get any manual BMW series box for $500 these days

For a bare gearbox? Well around about $500 maybe? I see a lot of people listing gearboxes for months on end on TM for all sorts of random numbers..

I think these were ok priced IMO but don't appear to have been snatched up:

Here was one for $700ish, that seemingly didnt sell:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/gear-boxes/listing-2638733212.htm?archive=1&archive=1

Or the complete package (gearbox, driveshaft, shifter, pedals, clutch, flywheel etc) for $1600 odd. Not an amazingly good price, but not terrible for the lot if its all usable. Still didnt sell though.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/gear-boxes/listing-2653280107.htm?archive=1

If I pay for importing one Id at least get a pick of the litter. Anyhow, this is about $3k manual gearboxes, which is just not worth it IMO. Or, if this takes much longer to source, just call it quits and I'll put it on export container as is and buy one in Ireland/EU for EUR300 when I take the car back there.

Edited by Kodachrome

ZF's for M5X motors ie S5D 310z and 320z go for around $1000 these days, give or take a couple of hundred either side. I would think you could probably find a Getrag 220\250 for around $500 or a little more. Importing one ZF gearbox by its self didn't seem worth it when i looked into costs.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

ZF's for M5X motors ie S5D 310z and 320z go for around $1000 these days, give or take a couple of hundred either side. I would think you could probably find a Getrag 220\250 for around $500 or a little more. Importing one ZF gearbox by its self didn't seem worth it when i looked into costs.

Yep, this is what I was thinking too, I have no problem with a Getrag, Im not looking to race, just cruise. Already have the clutch and guibo for a Getrag, just waiting on the rest!

Sorry, but you are not comparing apples with apples.

The 420g gearbox is expensive but it is an exceptional gearbox.

The getrag 220 or 240 wont last long behind a s50 motor unless you baby it, and then whats the point.

The zf will likely last longer, but cant be compared to the 420g.

If you are on a budget why not put a zf behind the m62?

• Like 2

I think you misunderstood my point. It was about relative ratios of budget to parts. I never said the 420g was comparable to anything. I just said it was expensive and in the engine conversion game I'd end up with a V8 manual yes, but my primary aim was not to manualify an e28. 

There are tons of people with getrags on s50's with zero problems, first hand feedback.

Fwiw I've had a 420g before and a 560g, they were fine, no better or worse in terms of feel than any other manual shifter. It's just a functional part. Unlike an engine, which is all character. A rare S50 plus gearbox is "more valuable" to me than an fairly regular old M62 and gearbox but the total price is similar due to the used aftermarket pricing on the gearbox.

I'm not sure what you mean by a ZF on the M62.. there is a very rare old 5speed ZF from the 3.5litre M60? Not super appealing but not usually available anyway??

Edited by Kodachrome

Personally I think a m62 in an e38 would be super cool, and cooler than a six pot, but thats just me.

And yes there is a zf 310/320 five speed with a different bellhousing for mating to the v8.

Cheaper than the 420g, but equally hard to find, and likely both are best bought overseas.

3 hours ago, zero said:

Personally I think a m62 in an e38 would be super cool, and cooler than a six pot, but thats just me.

And yes there is a zf 310/320 five speed with a different bellhousing for mating to the v8.

Cheaper than the 420g, but equally hard to find, and likely both are best bought overseas.

Yeah I dont disagree actually, to a point, it was my original plan too. I just couldnt justify total cost of the V8 plus gearbox being the same as a handbuilt M engine. But, you have given me food for thought, I'll check ebay again for the 5 speed V8 ZF.