Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Westfalia electric swivelling towbar

Hi everyone, bit of a tricky one.. 

I recently bought an electric swivelling towbar for our E91. I'm OK with wiring the lighting loom with the module to not get fault codes etc but I need a wiring diagram for the hitch. Anyone been in this situation before? Even if I can find out what pin to feed 12v to to get it to unlock and have it extended for the time being. I have the official BMW retrofit PDF but they don't really delve into the wiring. Thanks in advance to the wiring genius that can save me. 

20200611_165511.thumb.jpg.1d237efde63ff41ee479f6e888d4b00d.jpg

20200611_165453.thumb.jpg.0f689453ed0595f4cc9f6d288bf5abb0.jpg

On 7/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, Cammsport said:

Hi everyone, bit of a tricky one.. 

I recently bought an electric swivelling towbar for our E91. I'm OK with wiring the lighting loom with the module to not get fault codes etc but I need a wiring diagram for the hitch. Anyone been in this situation before? Even if I can find out what pin to feed 12v to to get it to unlock and have it extended for the time being. I have the official BMW retrofit PDF but they don't really delve into the wiring. Thanks in advance to the wiring genius that can save me. 

20200611_165511.thumb.jpg.1d237efde63ff41ee479f6e888d4b00d.jpg

20200611_165453.thumb.jpg.0f689453ed0595f4cc9f6d288bf5abb0.jpg

Hey mate. 

I'm in the exact same position as you were, but with a e90 335d.
The link above B. M. W Ltd posted doesn't seem to work any longer, did it A) work for you at time of posting and B) did it have the info you needed?
Like you said, even if I could just get it to unlock so i can pull it round and have it in use 100% of the time. Did you have any luck finding anything that could help me? 

Cheers for your time,
Newbie member 

Hey mate, the link did work for me. I can't recall what was in it though to be honest. I didn't end up getting it to go correctly. Sold the car awhile ago. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:27 PM, Cammsport said:

Hey mate, the link did work for me. I can't recall what was in it though to be honest. I didn't end up getting it to go correctly. Sold the car awhile ago. 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah no longer available as it looks like BMW AG shut this site down for intellectual property rights etc at a guess. 

Ahh bugger, sounds like a familiar story for these things. I was hoping you were going to be a night in shining armor lol.
I have a copy of that wiring, but want to know the sequence that they need to connected to get the ;lock to release. The motor is straight forward but wont go anywhere due to the lock holding it.

If you think of anything that may help, fire away.

IMG_4116.thumb.jpeg.12aafa4baf038bfb01d1aec3fd58749c.jpeg

• Like 1

So I'm feeling a touch silly. I thought the motor powered through the full stroke as I've seen in some examples on youtube. 
However, it is one of the gravity examples that simply unlocks lol

So, it unlocks by using the motor to push its hub out 5mm which I'm guessing gives it clearance internally from however it locks. GRAVITY then gets it to fall to the middle of the stroke. You then pull it up until it locks in place. 

Where I got caught out it because I had it upside down for bench testing (thinking the motor was used to slowly power it through the full stroke), which means the GRAVITY part of the process was impossible. Yes, I'm a cabbage lol.

It does the same  but in reverse when you put it back.