Sign in to follow this  
qube

So WHY do you buy a new car?

So WHY do you buy a new car?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious as to what prompts people to buy a new car. Interested to hear the variety of reasons

mainly the first.i usually sell around the 250 k mark,and the last couple of times to move to a new motoring interest

Edited by kiwi535

I dont understand why anyone buys a new car ? 

Wouldn't ever buy a new-new car.

But bought my middle aged BMW as wanted something a little old school but daily-able to get out of the old 'upgrade every few years' cycle.

Wife's car can play that role.

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

I dont understand why anyone buys a new car ? 

i pretty much meant why do you get a new-to-you-second-hand-car :)

Usually goes something like, "hmm I have $xxxx in my account i wonder what I could get for that? Oh that would be cool" buys it, and then wonders why I never get the wagon or e30 finished

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have owned 6 new off the showroom floor cars but only 1 was a car bought on emotion. New cars are nice in that everything works its tight and there are no cosmetic issues. I have never owned a second hand car that didn't need something done. I am a bit impulsive and have low level OCD so when ever I get a car I generaaly spend too much time and money fixing it. I have 5 cars and 7 motorbikes, they all work bar one, 3 are brand BMW, I could have a less complicated life without vehicles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikan said:

#4: Terrible impulse control 

laughing with you, not at you, CJ! ?

• Like 1

I watch too much vehicle related video content.  Usually about old broken down junk that I fall for and end up wanting my own.

• Like 2

Because...

In the same way my wife can never have too many bags or shoes, I can never have too many cars and parts.

I’m kinda caught, had a e46 m3 for last 9 years, no idea what I’d replace it with other than getting another low km one.  

I’ve deliberately avoided f80 m3s as suspect a drive would  lead to a Mpulse decision to buy.

• Like 4

M135i 140l etc are suitably quick, probably faster than the E46 M3 especially if they have had a tune. Not the collectability of course but a nice daily all the same.

21 hours ago, Driftit said:

I watch too much vehicle related video content.  Usually about old broken down junk that I fall for and end up wanting my own.

I keep looking at AW11 MR2s, Subaru Alcyone XT/Vortexs, and Porsche 944s. I think I have a problem (and also like cars that consist of straight lines) 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbmiester said:

M135i 140l etc are suitably quick, probably faster than the E46 M3 especially if they have had a tune. Not the collectability of course but a nice daily all the same.

The B58 engines are all the rage at the moment, M140i/Z4/Supra etc.

If not then an M2 would be good :) probably the most similar to the E46 M3 in most ways just newer.

3 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

I think you’d be right , more hp and torque form the later especially and far more refinement.
Issue with a daily is that Id end up with an m3 , a Motorsport project and a track day motorcycle limited edition motorcycle  and probably would have to make some hard choices with parting with one of them.

Not a bad problem to have but probably like many a classic bmw in great condition will come along and challenge status quo.

• Like 1

Sometimes you see an M5 wagon on trademe and you just don't have any choice....not often, but it does happen!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Neal said:

I’m kinda caught, had a e46 m3 for last 9 years, no idea what I’d replace it with other than getting another low km one.  

I’ve deliberately avoided f80 m3s as suspect a drive would  lead to a Mpulse decision to buy.

9 years is a long time... Maybe you should consider an F80, or an M2...

Prices are coming down, higher km ones (60-80k) can probably be negotiated down to low 60s or high 50s.

Eg:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2688530281

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1