Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Exhaust M54 Auckland

Coming up on my E46 to-do list is the exhaust - M54B30 - all stock currently with the 'golf tee mod'. Dual pipes all the way I think.

Goal is more volume and a great tone, especially at WOT / higher RPM. Little performance would be nice but not expecting much at all there.

I impulse bought a Supersprint 'slip on' rear muffler on FB marketplace this weekend after a few wines, heard good things about their stuff for BMW.

Will need to get that fitted obviously, but from there I'm expecting a few other tweaks needed to get the volume i'm after:

Cat delete?

Resonator delete?

X-Pipe?

Any recommendations for exhaust shops in Auckland? The best approach I guess is get the muffler on and listen to it and talk to them about my goals?

image_83177_big.jpg

Gutting the cats is worth doing.

I've heard alot of exhaust setups on a m52b28 and the cheap redline stainless mufflers sounded better than the supersprints and remuses which suprised me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zero said:

Gutting the cats is worth doing.

I've heard alot of exhaust setups on a m52b28 and the cheap redline stainless mufflers sounded better than the supersprints and remuses which suprised me.

Cheers mate. 

Gutting vs deleting = less potential WOF issues? 

A bit of extra volume and flow I would think too? 

Original plan was to just get a cheap straight through stainless muffler but this one came up and jumped on it. 

Videos online (for what those are worth) with the supersprint sound good, albeit a little quiet, hence thinking I'll need a little more done. 

Yes, I would recommend gutting as opposed to deleting as the gutted cat then acts as a partial resonator to remove unwanted tinny noises.

Also I think it looks cleaner.

And use headers from I think the s52.

• Like 1

If it's anything like my E36 M52B28 it will be plenty loud with just the muffler replacement. I got a twin pipe perforated straight through muffler from Chase to replace the rear one on mine and it sounds fantastic. If you just want noise I doubt you'll need to do anything further.

I do like Zero's suggestion about gutting the cats though, might look into doing that.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1