Jump to content
Sammo

Spare Key - E46 Infrared One

Recommended Posts

I'm unfortunate enough to have the cursed E46 Infrared two button key (2001 Jap import) with the range of approximately four potatoes.

I'm wanting to get a spare cut and programmed because its a sensible thing to do.

Problem is both the locksmith guys I've spoken to who seem to work in this area (i.e. coding semi-modern keys) won't / can't do this key type...

What are my options here in Auckland? 

Don't really want to spend $500(??) at BMW for a backup, $200 or so was the plan... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, been there done that.  Daughters E46 is a Jap import with IR remote locking.  We ended up buying a second key from BMW.  The one without the IR remote locking, lots cheaper.  A very good second key to get you out of the crap when you loose the main key.  The only way to get a fully functional IR master key is to go to BMW and bend over for the $.

Should you need it, attached is the pairing procedure for the IR keys.  Its got one extra step that the normal pairing instructions for the RF keys don't have.

Infra-red key reprogamming instructions.pdf

Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Yep, been there done that.  Daughters E46 is a Jap import with IR remote locking.  We ended up buying a second key from BMW.  The without the IR remote locking, lots cheaper.  A very good second key to get you out of the crap when you loose the main key.  The only way to get a fully functional IR master key is to go to BMW and bend over for the $.

Should you need it, attached is the pairing procedure for the IR keys.  Its got one extra step that the normal pairing instructions for the RF keys don't have.

Infra-red key reprogamming instructions.pdf 253.25 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks mate, yup not as fussed on back up being a remote one as it will just be an emergency key - will see if that makes it easier to sort 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk to Express Keys in Penrose. The blade keys should only be used as a back up. The remote key should be used all the time

 

.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IR is garbage and belongs in the bin with all the other jap import 'features'.

Converting to RF shouldn't cost more than $200. RF Antenna, run a few wires, key cut then swap transponders or cut and reprogram new ones with AK90.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the spare have to be a remote key? Can get a non remote or a plastic valet key from BMW for cheap enough

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Does the spare have to be a remote key? Can get a non remote or a plastic valet key from BMW for cheap enough

Nope, just a back up to open the door and start the car if needed - will look at that option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagle said:

IR is garbage and belongs in the bin with all the other jap import 'features'.

Converting to RF shouldn't cost more than $200. RF Antenna, run a few wires, key cut then swap transponders or cut and reprogram new ones with AK90.

 

Yeah... I saw the thread on here, sounds a little involved but probably not hard in practice - I've installed my own amps and stereos so probably similar difficulty?

Basically swap in the correct RF antenna /amplifier, run wires to the GM5 which will open the doors - then get a new RF key body and cut and code it?

Doing this, feasibly I could use my current IR key as a spare and use a new RF key as main key?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t IR keys the easiest to replicate in the sense that the remote part just swaps out from any IR key fob into a new blank key but you just program it to the GM5 via the rearview mirror with button presses.

 The immobliser part is just a transponder Chip pcf7935 that’s easily programmed by a read of your ews module (more than happy to do this as I have done for other members in the past foc).

get your blank key cut, pop in the transponder and program the remote and off you go?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, M3_Power said:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t IR keys the easiest to replicate in the sense that the remote part just swaps out from any IR key fob into a new blank key but you just program it to the GM5 via the rearview mirror with button presses.

 The immobliser part is just a transponder Chip pcf7935 that’s easily programmed by a read of your ews module (more than happy to do this as I have done for other members in the past foc).

get your blank key cut, pop in the transponder and program the remote and off you go?

Thanks mate - need to look into this a bit further - really tempted to trying switching over to RF now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Thanks mate - need to look into this a bit further - really tempted to trying switching over to RF now!

No problem, I have done a transponder chip for someone with a 5 series in the past also with infrared Key and pretty sure that’s what they did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sammo said:

Yeah... I saw the thread on here, sounds a little involved but probably not hard in practice - I've installed my own amps and stereos so probably similar difficulty?

Basically swap in the correct RF antenna /amplifier, run wires to the GM5 which will open the doors - then get a new RF key body and cut and code it?

Doing this, feasibly I could use my current IR key as a spare and use a new RF key as main key?

No reason why you couldn't do it, its more labor than skill based. Having someone program the new key makes it even easier and saves you some $. Money well either way given its sometime you are using all the time.

Yes IR key should work fine as spare.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...