Sign in to follow this  
denpin

IFH-0009 Error

Hi,

I have read through dozens of posts in various forums but cannot find a solution to my problem. I'm hoping someone here can help.
I have a 2007 320i, N46 engine, production date 2007-03-01.
I had a red "Steering Lock" icon on the display, and the car would not crank or start. I used Tool 32 to remove the error icon, using a K+DCAN cable.
Now, the car cranks, but does not start.
I have put in a new battery. I tried using INPA to recalibrate the EWS, but I got this error: EDIABAS - Error
ApiResultText: Error #19
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT
API job error or no such result!
Continue script processing? Yes/No
Selecting  Yes brings up the error message "WECHSELCODE_SYNC_DME"
I am running Windows 10, with 64 bit operating system. I also have INPA 5.0.6 Version 5.
I am also a novice with regard to computerese, so I 'd be grateful if any help was in plain English as far as possible. Thanks!!

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

Your probably at a point now where you will need professional help with this. What area do you live in ?

3 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Your probably at a point now where you will need professional help with this. What area do you live in ?

Henderson, Auckland

The closest I can recommend would be BM Workshop in Grey Lynn

Thanks for the recommendation. However, the car does not start, and I'd like to avoid having it transported there. If there's anyone familiar with INPA who can provide some input as to how I can get get communication with the ECU going, that would be greatly appreciated.

Professionals don't use that type of equipment usually. I don't know who may be able to help you. Now that you have tried you may have over complicated this now.

Had the steering wheel lock issue on a mates car, we replaced battery and had it coded to car and it never came back.

Just googled it as i remember reading something about 06/07 models.

Im not familiar with tool32 but perhaps you only removed the icon and not the issue so car still refuses to start as it believes steering is locked.

I would suggest if you are going to continue to DIY that you download and install ISTA+ and rescan for issues.

FYI it's a common issue on the 06 and early 07 models. In mid-07, BMW stopped putting locks in the steering columns (for reasons unrelated to this problem). Apparently, this problem has to do with the electronic lock power draw when starting the car, and a software update normally fixes the problem. If the software update does not work, BMW replaces the steering column.

13 minutes ago, andrewm said:

Im not familiar with tool32 but perhaps you only removed the icon and not the issue so car still refuses to start as it believes steering is locked.

Hi Andrew, 

The car would not even crank previously, and now cranks but does not start. I therefore think that the steering lock has been reset. From various other sources it has been suggested that the EWS-DME needs to be aligned. I will code the battery and also download ISTA+ and report.back. Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:26 PM, The Bimmer said:

you need to reset the ELV counter from CAS. 

Any chance you can help with that?

2 minutes ago, The Bimmer said:

you can use tool32, inpa or ISTA

I have unlocked/reset the ELV and the car now cranks when previously it did not. However, it does not start. The error log now says 2F44, which I believe requires the DME and EWS to be synced. This is where I need help, as using INPA to attempt this gives up an error message "IFH-0009 No response from Control unit".

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

2 minutes ago, The Bimmer said:

maybe you should try using ISTA.

Tried downloading ISTA, but couldn't get it to work.

I do have Tool32 and NCS Expert. Could you detail the procedure for either of them to sync the DME and EWS?

Screenshot (26).png

I only know in ISTA. under service functions -select power train under Dme go under adjustment functions and you can see dme cas adjustment.and follow test plan

Hi Denpin,, 

you just need to sync Cas-DME now. Anyone with a good diagnostic tool i.e Launch, Autel, Auto logic can do it.  if you can get ISTA working its under service functions.  

this is quite common due to an ageing battery 

After struggling with my "crank, no start" problem for months, I decided to start from scratch. I deleted all the files I had downloaded from various sources and downloaded "Standard Tools" from https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads.
Opened INPA, Selected "Body", "Car Access System", F6 to activate. Ignore the error message and select OK, "F2 - Sync Motor ECU". Done. 
Turn off ignition, wait 10 seconds. Turn on ignition, hold breath and press start.
Success!!
I hope this helps others who may be in the same boat.

Screenshot (41).png

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

Screenshot (44).png

tried to follow along with what you suggested and i got this error/message

wtf.png

Edited by LVFB

Hi,

It would appear your immobiliser is preventing the car from starting. You will need to synchronise the EWS. *I am NOT an expert, so you will be doing this at your own risk*

In INPA, select your engine, then:

Shift+F6 - you will see 2 choices, F1 (EWS Start Value Synch) and F2 (EWS Start Value Reset)

Try F2 first, and see if a window pops up which allows you to click in it. 

If no window pops up, try F1 and click the Start button in the pop up window.

Then click out all the way. 

Redo the synch ECU motor you tried earlier.

Good luck!!

13 minutes ago, denpin said:

Hi,

It would appear your immobiliser is preventing the car from starting. You will need to synchronise the EWS. *I am NOT an expert, so you will be doing this at your own risk*

In INPA, select your engine, then:

Shift+F6 - you will see 2 choices, F1 (EWS Start Value Synch) and F2 (EWS Start Value Reset)

Try F2 first, and see if a window pops up which allows you to click in it. 

If no window pops up, try F1 and click the Start button in the pop up window.

Then click out all the way. 

Redo the synch ECU motor you tried earlier.

Good luck!!

when i navigate to the engine selector it does NOT have the n51 sulev engine which i have so if i ignore it and select the n52 and push shift f6 i have 2 options f1 and f2 both of which when i try to select give me the error 

Apiresulttext: error #19

ifh-0009: no response from controlunit....."

any ideas?

Sorry mate, hope someone else more into coding can help you.

• Like 1