Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

E46 Suspension install - did I do something wrong?

@Eagle Hmmm - checking that Bavauto guide, I'm not far off at all? rotate clockwise a bit so the end of spring is around a quarter turn from the 'notch'.

Wonder if that would help my ride height at all...

Aligning with the 'spring end stop' is an E36 and earlier thing? 

It seems so, which is news to me.

I'm afraid I don't think you're going to get any meaningful drop from rotation given this new information.  

20 minutes ago, Sammo said:

@Eagle Hmmm - checking that Bavauto guide, I'm not far off at all? rotate clockwise a bit so the end of spring is around a quarter turn from the 'notch'.

Wonder if that would help my ride height at all...

Aligning with the 'spring end stop' is an E36 and earlier thing? 

If the red line is where the original spring end sat then its just standard procedure to put it back in the same place but given its a new spring it may sit in a slightly different position and there maybe some leeway as stated. Given i didnt install the springs so i can only guess that they were seated properly and not binding up on the inner lip causing them to sit high. They appear ok from the photos but its only so much you can tell from the internet.

If the ride heights are relatively even as you say suggest then personally id give it more time\use before dismantling. 

IMG_20200802_125553.jpg.b52806b93163c225411e999dfc62391e.jpg

Edited by Eagle
pic

My apologies to Sam and others on this forum. I have been so wrong with my replies to this thread. I should have checked before replying on here. It's been a very long time since I've changed front springs (2006 on the Ti) and I should have made sure my statements were correct. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

What's your view on the springs appearing to be the same Glenn?

My comments on here were wrong. I've deleted them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

I read Glenns post as front struts are either left or right, not the actual springs. They would have to be labelled if they were somehow specfic.

I was wrong Jared

• Like 1

@B.M.W Ltd no worries, my first pictures were poor and totally different angles ?

Update on this - gave it a a bit of a shake out last night with some heavy braking etc and seems less noisy now.

Regardless, I've booked the car in at Bellars Motorworks next Monday for a good going over of the suspension and driveline bushings etc.

Was planning this anyways so I have a better plan around maintenance / improvements than just winging it / throwing parts at it.

If you want a hand with the rtab's let me know, Ive done it a couple times.

• Like 1

@zero Thanks mate - its actually at Bellars right now getting a full suspension / bushing check up so can forge a proper plan of attack for next wave of maintenance